A digital marketing cover letter is the bottom of your job-search funnel. Engage your audience fast, or they won’t even think about your CV. Do that by learning all you can about the role. Then write compelling copy that shows your benefits—not just features. End it with a motivating CTA.
Ready to make the phone ring?
This guide will show you a digital marketing cover letter sample and the best tips on how to write a cover letter for digital marketing jobs step-by-step.
Want to write your cover letter fast? Use our cover letter builder. Choose from 20+ professional cover letter templates that match your CV. See actionable examples and get expert tips along the way.
Sample Cover Letter for a CV—See more cover letter templates and create your cover letter here.
Digital Marketing Cover Letter Sample
Digital Marketing Manager
76 York Road
0777 777 7777
24th November 2020
Director of Marketing
12 Hatfield Lane
Dear Ms Kristofferson,
As a digital marketing manager with seven years of experience growing client brands and engagement, I was thrilled to see Leftfield’s advert for a digital marketing manager position. Your company’s mission is to tell stories that inspire confidence and drive engagement. You’re seeking a manager who has a passion for data, who can lead a team of expert content creators and product managers to develop successful campaigns, and who can build and maintain complex project schedules and budgets. Based on these needs, I think you’ll be interested in reading my CV.
At Halfpenny Marketing, I analysed data, developing new consumer trend and competitive analysis reports that increased annual sales by 20%. I led a team of 17 product managers and content managers, working with client input to grow engagement and revenue by 50% on average. One of my clients, a well-known retail chain I can’t name because of an NDA, realized a £5M annual boost in revenue. I also transitioned our firm to Jira for scheduling, producing a 20% time-savings on scheduling tasks and a 23% efficiency boost across my department.
I handled project budgets of £10,000 to £3m, finding and passing on cost-savings of 15%+ to 20% to customers. Senior management cited these savings as making the business more competitive, leading to an average increase of 12 new clients per year. I also introduced our team of copywriters to new SEO tools that increased output by 30%.
Ms Kristofferson, I would enjoy talking with you about how my skills in SEM, email marketing, and conversion rate optimization can help fulfil Leftfield’s vision of driving client ROI. Could we schedule a meeting at your convenience?
Digital Marketing Manager
That’s a BBDO-level cover letter sample.
But—don’t skimp on your CV. See our guide: Marketing CV Sample
Hunting other jobs? See these guides:
- Architecture Cover Letter Example & Writing Guide
- Career Change Cover Letter Example & Writing Guide
- Consulting Cover Letter Example & Writing Guide
- Customer Service Cover Letter Example & Writing Guide
- Engineering Cover Letter Example & Writing Guide
- Graduate Cover Letter Example & Writing Guide
- Graphic Designer Cover Letter Example & Writing Guide
- Internship Cover Letter Example & Writing Guide
- Receptionist Cover Letter Example & Writing Guide
- Retail Cover Letter Example & Writing Guide
- Sales Assistant Cover Letter Example & Writing Guide
- Speculative Cover Letter Example & Writing Guide
- Teaching Assistant (TA) Cover Letter Example & Writing Guide
Digital Marketing Cover Letter Template
Here’s how to write a cover letter for a digital marketing job application:
1. Use the best digital marketing cover letter format and layout
- Cover letter template: use 1-inch margins on top, sides, and bottom.
- Cover letter outline: write 3–4 paragraphs.
- Cover letter font: respected fonts (Verdana, Cambria, Lato, Georgia).
- Cover letter format: set your line spacing to single or 1.15.
Read more: What to Include in a Cover Letter
2. Make a professional digital marketing cover letter header
- Address your marketing cover letter first.
- Start with your name, job title, street address, email, phone number, and LinkedIn.
- After a blank line, add the date, another blank line, then the manager’s contact info.
- Make sure your CV heading matches your cover letter heading.
Read more: How Should I Address a Cover Letter?
3. Write a personal greeting and a compelling first paragraph
- Start with ‘Dear [Manager’s Name],’. It’s the most professional cover letter salutation.
- Show a little excitement.
- State the job title you’re writing to them about.
- Mention the company’s mission. To find it, see their mission statement online for clues, or do some informational interviews.
- Tell them what they’re looking for in an employee. Talking about their needs is engaging!
Read more: How to Start a Cover Letter
4. In paragraphs 2 and 3, show digital marketing accomplishments
- Mention a few CV achievements that fit the digital marketing job requirements.
- Add numbers to show you’re Wunderman-Thompson-level.
- Keep coming back to how you fit their needs.
Read more: 14 of the Best Cover Letter Tips
5. Say why you want this digital marketing job
- Prove this digital marketing job is your favourite.
- Expressing interests hints that you won’t move on to another job in six months.
- For added proof, show how the role would help your career.
6. End your digital marketing cover letter with a CTA
- Mention a few more digital marketing skills they want.
- Say you’re looking forward to the interview.
- Promise to provide value in the interview, like a chat about how you can help them meet a goal from their mission statement.
Read more: Best Ways to End a Cover Letter
7. Add a professional sign-off to the end
- End your cover letter with, ‘Yours sincerely’ or ‘Yours faithfully’.
- For added professionalism, add a digital version of your signature.
- Include your full name.
- Give a professional name to your cover letter file title.
Read more: What is a Cover Letter? Definition
When making a CV in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check. Start building your CV here.
When you’re done, Zety’s CV builder will score your CV and tell you exactly how to make it better.
Questions? Concerns? We’re here for you. If you’re still unsure how to write a PwC-worthy digital marketing manager or specialist cover letter, drop me a line in the comments.
About Zety’s Editorial Process
Our editorial team has thoroughly reviewed this article to ensure it follows Zety’s editorial guidelines. Our dedication lies in sharing our expertise and providing you with actionable career advice that offers you real value. Every year, the quality of our content attracts 40 million readers to our site. But that’s not all – we conduct original research to gain a detailed understanding of the labour market. We take pride in being cited by top universities and leading media outlets in the UK and worldwide.