As seen in:
You want a job at a nonprofit.
You’ll get it. Why?
You’ve stumbled across the best resource for NGO jobs on the web.
Here’s more good news—
Plenty of great nonprofit jobs have the same titles as their for-profit counterparts.
So, take heart.
Do a few things right, and you’ll be up there with Sandra Bernabei and Keith Alford fast.
This guide will show you:
- 112 nonprofit jobs you can find in real life.
- How to search non profit organizations near me to get results.
- The best 25 nonprofit job boards on the web (and how to use them).
- How to find NGO jobs, philanthropy jobs, and careers in nonprofits quickly.
Want to save time and have your resume ready in 5 minutes? Try our resume builder. It’s fast and easy to use. Plus, you’ll get ready-made content to add with one click. See 20+ resume templates and create your resume here.
Sample resume made with our builder—See more templates and create your resume here.
Just looking for nonprofit organizations? Skip to our best non profit organizations list below.
112 Nonprofit Jobs
Here are 112 common nonprofit job titles.
Pick one that fits your skill set.
These aren’t the only NGO job titles.
I’ll show you how to find hundreds more in the next section.
45 Management Careers in Nonprofits
Looking for director-level philanthropy jobs? Are you a charity work coordinator, manager, or supervisor? See these 45 nonprofit jobs for managers.
Searching non profit organizations near me? Jump to nonprofits near me lower in this guide.
- Advocacy Director
- Aide Supervisor
- Animal Shelter Director
- Campaign Manager
- Chemical Dependency Director
- Chief Operating Officer
- Community Organizer
- Community Service Project Coordinator
- Compliance Coordinator
- Compliance Director
- Development Manager
- Director of Community Relations
- Director of Development
- Director of Special Initiatives
- Director of Support Services
- Family Shelter Director
- Financial Aid Director
- Foundation Director
- Foundation Program Officer
- Grant Proposal Manager
- Hospice Supervisor
- Housing Coordinator
- Housing Program Manager
- Labor Union Organizer
- Managed Care Coordinator
- Member Certification Manager
- Nonprofit Administrator
- Nonprofit Executive Director
- Planning Manager
- Program Coordinator
- Program Director
- Program Manager
- Project Manager
- Public Relations Manager
- School Director
- Shelter Director
- Special Events Coordinator
- Special Events Director
- Team Leader
- Teen Center Director
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Volunteer Manager
- Volunteer Director
- Volunteer Services Director
- Women's Shelter Director
21 Fundraising Nonprofit Jobs
Can you shake the trees and make the money fall? These fundraising nonprofit jobs might be for you.
- Director of Corporate Giving
- Corporate Giving Manager
- Director of Major Gifts
- Donor Relations Manager
- Fundraising Manager
- Planned Gift Director
- Planned Giving Director
- Planned Giving Coordinator
- Development Coordinator
- Fundraising Coordinator
- Grant Coordinator
Front Line Fundraising
- Contracts Specialist
- Development Assistant
- Development Associate
- Development Officer
- Financial Aid Representative
- Grant Administrator
- Grant Specialist
- Grant Writer
- Nonprofit Fundraiser
16 NGO Jobs in Counseling
Save the world one client at a time. Do it with these careers in nonprofits for counselors and social workers.
- Case Manager
- Director of Social Services
- Social Work Manager
- Chemical Dependency Counselor
- Child Counselor
- Child Life Specialist
- Child Support Case Officer
- Childbirth Educator
- Couples Counselor
- Housing Counselor
- Human Services Worker
- Juvenile Counselor
- Living Skills Advisor
- Medical Social Worker
- Social Worker
10 Marketing and Public Relations Nonprofit Jobs
Are you a skilled marketer who doesn’t want to aid consumerism? Try these NGO jobs in marketing.
- Community Outreach Advocate
- Community Outreach Coordinator
- Social Media Coordinator
- Community Outreach Specialist
- Graphic Designer
- Grassroots Organizer
- Marketing Associate
- Online Activist
Technical Careers in Nonprofits
Got tech skills like Sundar Pichai and want to use them for the public good? See these nonprofit jobs in tech.
- Information Technology Manager
- IT Manager
- IT Specialist
- Policy Analyst
- Software Engineer
- Web Developer
Human Resources Philanthropy Jobs
- Event Team Recruiter
- Human Resources Manager
- Job Developer
- Director of Human Resources
Religious Non-Profit Organizations Jobs
- Associate Pastor
Health Care Not for Profit Jobs
- Community Health Director
- Critical Care Director
- Recreational Therapy Director
- Residential Living Assistant
Education Nonprofit Jobs
- School Director
- Preschool Teacher
- School Assistant Director
Now you’ve got 112 philanthropy jobs titles.
Now use them to find actual nonprofit jobs postings next.
Didn’t see careers in nonprofits that fit your skills?
Scroll down to find them fast.
Pro Tip: Hunting entry-level non-profit jobs? Need entry-level NGO jobs? Add entry-level to any of the charity work jobs titles above, then search. I’ll show you how next.
Are you disabled and seeking non-profit sector jobs? See our popular guide: 100+ Great Jobs for People with Disabilities to Get You Out and Earning
How to Find Nonprofit Jobs
You want a job at a nonprofit.
How can you find one?
Here’s how, in three quick steps:
1. Pick a Nonprofit Job Title
It’s easy to find NGO job titles.
They’re often the same job titles from non-philanthropy jobs.
Get them from the nonprofit jobs list above or—
Pick them from our master list of 450 regular job titles.
2. Add a Nonprofit Jobs Synonym to the Job Title
If you picked a “regular,” for-profit job title in step #1—
Put a philanthropy jobs synonym on the front.
Do it like this:
Ordinary Job Title
Nonprofit Jobs Synonym
New Nonprofit Job Search Term
Nonprofit Accountant Jobs Near Me
Non Profit Marketing Specialist Jobs
NGO Administrative Assistant Jobs
Not for Profit
Not for Profit Engineer Jobs
3. Search in Google for Jobs
Now it’s time to find nonprofit jobs that fit your job title.
It’s easier than you think.
Type your careers in nonprofits title into Google search. Then click the big blue bar, like this:
Google found 26 non profit jobs near me.
It works because Google for Jobs scrapes thousands of other non-profit job sites. It also sifts zillions of career pages for charitable organizations.
Need other great nonprofit job boards?
The best nonprofit websites are:
- Indeed—Search nonprofit jobs and find thousands of openings.
- Glassdoor—Get non-profit organizations jobs salary for hundreds of NGO jobs.
- LinkedIn—The best site for networking your way into non-profit organizations jobs.
We like Google best. Why? It piles up not-for-profit jobs from all the other non profit job sites.
You can automate your nonprofit job search in Google and other nonprofit job boards. In Google, click Turn on email alerts for this search in the lower left.
Pro Tip: Don’t apply for nonprofit jobs you find in Google. Find the job on the organization’s website and apply there. You’ll get heaps more interviews.
Want to use Google for Jobs like you were born to it? See our guide with expert tips: Google for Jobs: Use This Search Engine Tool to Find Your Next Career
How to Find Non Profit Organizations Near Me
If you’re searching non profit jobs near me, here’s how to find them.
There are two easy ways:
1. How to Find Nonprofit Jobs with Google for Jobs
Looking for NGO jobs near you?
Use Google for Jobs, like I showed above.
Google automatically searches for local non profit jobs.
Look at this nonprofit jobs search example:
I didn’t add a location.
Creepy? Helpful? Either way, Google knows where you live.
2. How to Find Non Profit Organizations Near Me with Google Local
Just need to find nonprofits near me?
Here’s the good news:
Google knows where you are.
Just type one of the following into Google search:
- Nonprofits near me
- Local nonprofit organizations
- Nonprofit organizations
- Charitable organizations
Click More places in the search results.
You’ll get a big list of local non profit organizations.
You can even ditch the near me part. Google knows you mean non profit organizations near me. (Unless you specify a different city, state, town, or country.)
Search each organization’s careers page to find nonprofit jobs near you.
Pro Tip: Hunting non profit jobs near me? Don’t just apply online. Use your magic power and walk in. Hardly anyone does it, so you’ll stand out like Gandhi at a Burger King.
Want to find non profit work from home jobs? See our guide for tips: 62 REAL Work from Home Jobs and How to Get a Good One Fast
List of Nonprofit Job Boards
Here are 25 nonprofit job boards.
Don’t get overwhelmed.
Our advice? Just use one or two. Many repeat the same postings.
Most have alert settings that let you automate your nonprofit job search.
Many are for directors and coordinators. Only a small percentage are entry-level non-profit jobs.
10 Best Nonprofit Websites
- The National Council of Nonprofits Job Board. Over 1,000 nonprofit jobs.
- HERC Jobs Page. About 40,000 education jobs. Many are careers in nonprofits.
- Philanthropy News Digest’s Nonprofit Job Board. More than 650 nonprofit and NGO jobs.
- National Association of Social Workers careers page. Over 650 nonprofit and philanthropy jobs.
- The Nonprofit Times Career Center. About 500 not-for-profit jobs for employees of all levels. Powered by ZipRecruiter, so it may make sense to search there instead.
- NonprofitJobs.org. A nonprofit job board with 500 charity jobs throughout the US.
- Idealist.org. Roughly 400+ non-profit organizations jobs.
- SocialService.com Over 400 non profit careers.
- The Bridgespan Group’s Nonprofit Job Board. See 350+ jobs in the non-profit sector. Most are for directors. There are a few entry-level nonprofit jobs.
- Philanthropy.com. More than 300 nonprofit jobs.
7 More Nonprofit Job Boards to Try
- WorkforGood.org. Over 300 nonprofit careers.
- Encore.org. For job seekers over 50 looking for a second act in the nonprofit jobs sector.
- NGO Job Board. About 60 philanthropy jobs. Most are for directors and coordinators.
- NonprofitCareer.com. About 10 careers in nonprofits.
- The Philanthropy Journal. Less than 10 nonprofit jobs.
- NonProfitOyster.com. This site clicks through to Indeed, so start there instead.
- Commongood Careers. Founded by nonprofit professionals. Seems like a good idea, but we only found one listing at the time of our survey.
Regular Job Sites to Search Nonprofit Jobs
In these sites, search nonprofit jobs, ngo jobs, or not for profit jobs. Or search regular job titles with nonprofit added.
You can find nonprofit jobs near me by adding your location.
- Indeed. Best job search site after Google for Jobs. If you search nonprofit jobs USA, you’ll get over 16,000 openings.
- LinkedIn. Best for networking with non-profit recruiters.
- Glassdoor Jobs. Best site for finding non-profit organizations jobs salary data.
- Monster. Another popular job site.
- ZipRecruiter. A trusted job search engine with lots of not for profit jobs.
Your best bet to find nonprofit jobs fast?
Search Google for Jobs. If you’ve got time, try Indeed, plus one or two dedicated nonprofit job boards from the list above.
Pro Tip: Kick the spam. During your non profit job search, create a second gmail address. That way spammers won’t clog your personal inbox.
Do you want more job search sites to nail your nonprofit job search? See our guide: 30 Best Job Search Sites & How to Use Them to Find Employment Fast
When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check. Start building a professional resume template here for free.
When you’re done, Zety’s resume builder will score your resume and tell you exactly how to make it better.
Best Non Profit Organizations List (181 Organizations)
Nonprofit organizations are the best place to find nonprofit jobs.
That’s why we’ve compiled this non-profit organizations list.
They’re the 181 biggest, best nonprofits to work for.
To use them to find nonprofit and NGO jobs—
Click through to their websites and review their career pages.
- Academy of American Poets
- Acton Institute for the Study of Religion and Liberty
- Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation
- Alley Cat Allies
- Alzheimer's Association
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Cancer Society
- American Civil Liberties Union and Foundation
- American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- American Heart Association
- American Humanist Association
- American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee
- American Kidney Fund
- American Museum of Natural History
- American National Red Cross
- American SPCA
- Americares Foundation
- Andrew Wommack Ministries
- Animal Legal Defense Fund
- Appalachian Mountain Club
- Appalachian Trail Conservancy
- Barack Obama Foundation
- Best Friends Animal Society
- Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation
- Boston Children's Hospital
- Boys & Girls Clubs of America
- Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law
- CARE USA
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Carter Center
- Catholic Charities USA
- Catholic Medical Mission Board
- Catholic Relief Services
- Center for Biological Diversity
- Center for Reproductive Rights
- charity: water
- ChildFund International
- Christian Broadcasting Network/Operation Blessing
- Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden
- City of Hope
- Clearwater Marine Aquarium
- Combined Jewish Philanthropies
- Committee to Protect Journalists
- Compassion International
- Conservation International
- Convoy of Hope
- Council on Foreign Relations
- Creative Commons
- Cross International
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Delivering Good
- Direct Relief
- Disabled American Veterans
- Do Something
- Doctors Without Borders, USA
- Economic Policy Institute
- Educational Media Foundation
- Entertainment Industry Foundation
- Environmental Defense Fund
- Equal Justice Initiative
- FAIR Federation for American Immigration Reform
- Feed the Children
- Feeding America
- Focus on the Family
- Food and Water Watch
- Food for the Poor
- Free Software Foundation
- Friends of the Earth
- Good 360
- Goodwill Industries International
- Guttmacher Institute
- Habitat for Humanity International
- HealthWell Foundation
- Helen Keller Interntional
- Houston Food Bank
- Houston Zoo
- Human Rights Watch
- Humane Society of the United States
- International Rescue Committee
- International Rescue Committee
- JDRF International
- Junior Achievement USA
- Khan Academy
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts
- Lutheran Services in America
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of America
- MAP International
- March of Dimes Foundation
- Marine Toys for Tots Foundation
- Matthew 25: Ministries
- Mayo Clinic
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Mercy Corps
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Metropolitan Opera Association
- Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research
- Midwest Food Bank
- Mount Sinai Health Systems
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- Museum of Modern Art
- Museum of the Bible
- NARAL Pro-Choice America Foundation
- National Audubon Society
- National Council of YMCAs of the USA
- National Immigration Law Center
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- National Women's Law Center
- Natural Resources Defense Council
- Nature Conservancy
- New York City Ballet
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital
- Ocean Conservancy
- Paralyzed Veterans of America
- Partners In Health
- Patient Access Network Foundation
- Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America
- Population Services International
- Project Orbis International
- Rainforest Action Network
- Rotary Foundation of Rotary International
- Safe Kids Worldwide
- Saint Louis Zoo Association
- Salvation Army
- Samaritan's Purse
- San Diego Zoo Global
- Save the Children Federation
- Scholarship America
- Shriners Hospitals for Children
- Smile Train
- Smithsonian Institution
- Southern Poverty Law Center
- Special Olympics
- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
- St. Mary's Food Bank Alliance
- Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation
- Step Up for Students
- Sundance Institute
- Susan G. Komen
- Task Force for Global Health
- Teach For America
- The ALS Association, National Office
- The Arc
- The Aspen Institute
- The Atlantic Council of the United States
- The Center for Strategic and International Studies
- The Climate Reality Project
- The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
- The Public Theater/New York Shakespeare Festival
- The Trevor Project
- UJA/Federation of New York
- Union of Concerned Scientists
- United Nations Foundation
- United Service Organizations
- United States Fund for UNICEF
- United Way Worldwide
- Veterans of Foreign Wars Foundation
- Wildlife Conservation Society
- World Resources Institute
- World Vision
- World Wildlife Fund
- World Wildlife Fund
- Wounded Warrior Project
- Wycliffe Bible Translators
- YMCA of the USA
- Young Life
Those are the biggest and best nonprofits to work for in the US. But don’t stop there.
There are 1.5 million nonprofits in America, according to the NCSS.
Pro Tip: The non profit organizations list above shows big orgs. When seeking nonprofit jobs, go small. Search non-profit organizations near me and you’ll have less competition.
Are you a stay-at-home-mom looking for nonprofit or NGO jobs? See our guide for tips: 61 Real Stay at Home Mom Jobs and How to Get a Good One Fast
Working for a Nonprofit
The Dalai Lama said it’s not enough to be compassionate. You must also act.
Working in philanthropy jobs means changing passion into action.
Start by answering your basic questions about nonprofit jobs below.
What is an NGO?
An NGO stands for “Non-Governmental Organization.” They’re nonprofits that operate internationally.
Nonprofits that work only in the US aren’t called NGOs. An NGO is a nonprofit that functions in the US and other countries.
What is a Nonprofit Organization?
A nonprofit is an organization that operates without profit. They may earn revenue, but because of the good they do for society, they’re tax exempt.
Nonprofits are organizations like animal shelters, homeless shelters, schools, arts organizations, and human services entities.
How Do Nonprofits Work?
Nonprofits don’t pay money to investors or owners in the form of profits. They channel their revenue back into their efforts.
Most people who work at nonprofits earn a salary or hourly paycheck. They often make less than their for-profit counterparts.
How to Work for a Nonprofit
Why Work for a Nonprofit
The biggest reason to work for a nonprofit? Passion. Employees at NGOs and not-for-profit organizations are passionate about helping the world.
There’s a big side-benefit to following your passion into careers in nonprofits. Namely, you’ll work side-by-side with others who share that passion.
Do You Get Paid to Work at a Nonprofit?
Yes—most of the time. Nonprofit organizations don’t make money like for-profit companies do. But in most cases, their employees do earn a salary.
That said, nonprofit employees often earn less money than for-profit employees. Their compensation comes partially from following their passion.
Pro Tip: Worried you won’t find nonprofit jobs? Take heart. In a survey of 3,400 nonprofit leaders, more than half said they’re expanding services and staff.
Want part-time non-profit jobs? See our guide for tips: 107 Part Time Jobs Near Me & How to Get Them
Plus, a great cover letter that matches your resume will give you an advantage over other candidates. You can write it in our cover letter builder here. Here's what it may look like:
Here’s a quick recap of nonprofit jobs and how to get them:
- Review the list of 112 nonprofit jobs in this guide.
- Pick a philanthropy job title that fits your skills and experience.
- Plug your careers in nonprofits title into Google for Jobs. It’s the strongest nonprofit job board because it hunts through all the others.
- Let Google for Jobs find not-for-profit jobs near you. You don’t even have to type non profit organizations near me. Google knows where you live.
- Use the list of the 25 best nonprofit websites in this article. Pick one or two to fill in any gaps in Google search.
- Check out the best non profit organizations list in this guide. Hunt through their career pages for NGO jobs.
Want more nonprofit jobs titles? Looking for high-paying NGO jobs? Need tips to use nonprofit job boards better, with less stress? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!