Do I need a cover letter? Is it important? What if the job offer doesn’t require a cover letter? Read this guide to find out all you need to know.
You need a relocation cover letter.
We’ve got one that works.
When you relocate, employers might think you’re using them. As in, “I’m moving and I need a job and you can help.”
That won’t get you hired.
To write a perfect cover letter for relocation, first show you’re perfect for the job.
Then mention that you’re relocating and you’d like to meet.
Do it right, and you’ll get interviewed before other applicants.
This guide will show you a relocation cover letter sample, plus tips on how to mention relocation in a cover letter.
Sample Relocation Cover Letter
2570 Poplar Chase Lane
Boise, ID 83702
2750 Illinois Avenue
Portland, OR 97205
I’m writing today about your available Marketing Specialist position. Working for XYZ has long been a dream of mine, mostly because of your famous corporate culture, which I’ve followed on podcasts and social media for years. I’ve honed my skills a marketing specialist at ABC, using them in projects that raised our open rate by 32% and slashed churn 28%.
I know your most pressing goals are increasing conversions, cutting churn, and raising revenue. I raised conversions 34% at ABC by streamlining our site with video, high-quality content, and stronger CTAs. I cut churn 28% through strategic pricing and better communication with our top customers, identified through better user data collection. Between these efforts, we managed to raise revenue $250,000 a year. That’s an 18% jump.
I’m very enthusiastic about working as a marketing specialist at XYZ. My resume has an Ohio address—I’m in the final stages of relocating to your area. I’ll be ready for full-time employment on 5/1/19, but I’m available now for in-person interviews, job-shadowing, and training. This relocation has been a dream of mine since 2010, and I’m excited to make XYZ a central part of it.
I’m happy to jump on a call to talk about your goals for future revenue growth—and ways I can help reach them.
Pearl Brennan, Marketing Specialist
Want to write your cover letter fast? Use our cover letter builder. Choose from 20+ professional cover letter templates that match your resume. See actionable examples and get expert tips along the way.
Relocation Cover Letter for a Resume —See more cover letter templates and create your cover letter here.
That’s a well-grounded cover letter for relocation. Next, see how to write your own. But remember—
No matter how great your cover letter is, without a good resume, it’ll sink. See our relocation resume writing guide here: How to Write a Job-Winning Resume: Complete Guide with Tips
Also check out these related cover letter guides:
- Career Change Cover Letter: Sample & Complete Guide
- How to Explain Gaps in Employment in a Resume/Cover Letter/Interview
Relocation Cover Letter Template
Here’s how to write a relocation cover letter:
1. Don’t mention relocation right away
Save relocation for the end.
First show them you’re 100% perfect for the job. And be specific.
2. Use the right relocation cover letter format
- Margins: one inch
- Line spacing: 1 or 1.15
- Font: Arial and cambria are best, 11pt or 12pt
Read more: The Only Proper Cover Letter Format
3. Make a professional cover letter header
- Top-left: your name, address, phone, email, LinkedIn
- Hiring manager contact info
Can’t dig up the manager’s name? Scope out the company’s website or LinkedIn, or call the receptionist.
Read more: How to Address a Cover Letter
4. Start with a personal greeting and a hook
- Use “Dear” and the hiring manager’s name.
- Say which opening you’re applying for.
- Explain your passion for the job.
Read more: How to Start a Cover Letter the Right Way
5. Show you’re the perfect candidate
- Learn their needs. (They’re in the job ad and their website.)
- Show a few major achievements that prove you’ll fill them.
- Mention specifics you’ve improved like percents, dollars, or hours saved.
What about relocation cover letter length? The Perfect Cover Letter Length in 2019
6. Say you’re relocating
- Repeat your enthusiasm for the position.
- Tell them when you’re moving.
- Reassure them they’re a big part of the move.
7. Make an offer with a call to action
- Offer a phone call or in-person meeting.
- Tease a valuable discussion about how you can help.
Read more: The Best Cover Letter Ending Examples
8. End with a professional signature
- Say, “Sincerely,” plus your full name and job title.
- Include a digital copy of your written signature.
- Add email and phone.
Always follow up on your relocation cover letter and resume. Here’s how: Job Application Follow-Up: Examples, Dos, & Don’ts
A great cover letter can change your world. But don’t forget to add a resume to back it up.
When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check. Start building your resume here.
When you’re done, Zety’s resume builder will score your resume and tell you exactly how to make it better.
Thanks for reading! Now it’s your turn. Are you worried your cover letter for relocation won’t get you hired? Tell us your deepest relocation cover letter fears. We’re glad to help!