Bad resume examples are useful for two reasons. One: most of the time they’re funny resumes to read. Two: you can learn how not to make a bad resume yourself.
As seen in:
Here’s a thing:
Your headshot and your resume may not be enough to get that Dr. Stryker Ramoray role.
What you also need is an acting cover letter.
Talent agencies receive hundreds of applications. Most of them are mass-sent.
A personalized cover letter will be a great change of pace for them. They’ll stop, read on, and… invite you on stage!
Not sure where to start? Refer to your resume. But don’t just repeat show titles. Describe them in a compelling way. In this article, I’ll guide you step-by-step through the process of writing a cover letter for an acting job.
Want to write your cover letter fast? Use our cover letter builder. Choose from 20+ professional cover letter templates that match your resume. See actionable examples and get expert tips along the way.
Sample cover letter for a resume—See more cover letter templates and create your cover letter here.
Looking for some more inspiration? Take a look at our guides related to performing industries:
- Music Resume: Samples and Guide
- Model Resume: Sample and Guide
- Production Assistant Resume: Sample and Guide
- Production Assistant Cover Letter: Sample and Guide
- Artist Resume: Sample and Complete Guide
- Photographer Cover Letter: Sample and Guide
- All Cover Letter Examples
Before we dig in, take a look at this acting cover letter example:
Acting Cover Letter Sample
55 North Road
New York, NY 07021
New York, 1/30/2019
Mr. John Bowles
Docs in NY Productions
3015 Park Lane
New York City, NY 10045
As a passionate artist with five years of stage and film acting experience, I was thrilled to see you’re looking for new actors for the upcoming Green Hills production. I’m especially interested in the supporting role of the young doctor as my recent work includes a guest starring gig in the medical-themed drama movie, The Outsiders, directed by Louis Gray. The role required intense training in basic medical procedures, as well as hospital job shadowing.
I realize that in your productions, you frequently shoot in demanding sets. I think my role of the escaper in Beyond the Sky by John Doe proves that I’m adaptable and ready to work in various environmental conditions. The movie required stamina and physical fitness as we shot in the high mountains during the day and at night.
Besides my film performances, I played key parts in theatrical plays, such as Hamlet (Helen Hayes Theatre), A Streetcar Named Desire (Cherry Lane Theatre), and Time's Forgotten (Westside Theatre). I’m sure I could transfer my ability to act out a variety of emotions, my on-stage improvisation experience to your upcoming film production.
I would be happy to meet in person and present my acting skills in the audition.
PS—I’d also value the chance to tell you about my recent docudrama project that correlates with the Green Hills leitmotiv.
So you’ve seen an example of a compelling cover letter for an actor. Read on for a breakdown of how to write yours. But remember—
Even the best acting cover letter won’t cover everything the artistic directors want to know before they invite you on stage. Always send your cover letter along with an acting resume. Here’s how to write a job-winning one: Acting Resume Template.
How to Write an Acting Cover Letter
Here’s how to write a business cover letter for a job application:
1. Use the right acting covering letter template
- Set margins to one inch on each side.
- Choose single or 1.15 line spacing.
- Use classic font and keep it 11pt to 12pt.
Read more: How to Format a Cover Letter
2. Create a clear acting cover letter header
- Include your name and contact information in the top-left corner of the document.
- List: phone number, email, and optionally, your social media handles.
- Put the city and date right below.
- Then, include the addressee’s details.
Can’t find the artistic director name? Research the agency online or call them and ask.
Read more: How to Address a Cover Letter
3. Start with a personal greeting and a catchy first paragraph
- Begin with “Dear” and address the potential employer by name.
- State the position you’re targeting.
- Choose one of your best achievements and describe it here.
Read more: Cover Letter Opening
4. Show that you’re the perfect candidate in your actor cover letter
- Read the role description carefully and choose your acting accomplishment that resonates with it.
- Mention a few additional acting gigs you’re proud of.
- Make your experience shine: add titles, director’s names, stages you performed at.
Keep your acting cover letter short and sweet: The Perfect Cover Letter Length
5. Explain why you’re excited about this role
- Say why you like their productions.
- Make them know you want this particular role.
- Ensure them that you’ll be devoted to the production.
6. Make an offer and include a call to action
- Ask for a call and offer to show your acting skills on stage.
- Reiterate your value—show them once more what you can bring into the role.
Read more: The Best Cover Letter Ending Examples
7. Close your actor cover letter with a professional sign-off
- Sign off with your full name.
- Optionally, include a digital copy of your hand-written signature.
- Repeat your basic contact details in the footer.
Once you’ve sent out your acting covering letter, don’t just sit and wait. Remember to follow up on your job application. Here’s how: Job Application Follow-Up: Examples, Dos, & Don’ts
As you’ve learned, a great cover letter can truly be a game-changer, but to have a shot at that dream job, you still need to write a perfect resume.
When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check. Start building a professional resume template here for free.
When you’re done, Zety’s resume builder will score your resume and tell you exactly how to make it better.
Thank you for reading! Now we’d love to hear from you. What did you think of our acting cover letter example? Are you writing an acting cover letter for a talent agency or theater? Drop us a line in the comments!