What Are the 4 Types of Resumes? (+ Less Popular Types)
The four different types of resumes include:
- Chronological resume: It highlights the work experience and recent professional accomplishments.
- Functional resume: It emphasizes key skills with a skill summary section.
- Combination resume: It combines the chronological and the functional resume.
- Targeted resume: It targets specific job requirements with relevant experience.
Chronological, functional, and combination resumes are traditional resume formats that you can use for all job types. Despite being called one type of resume, a targeted resume should form the basis for every resume format.
Some career experts also distinguish two more types of resumes:
- Creative resume: It can be either a visual resume or an infographic resume, but recommended only for visual artists applying for creative professions.
- Resume with a profile: It’s a resume type that includes a short resume profile, which describes the candidate’s main qualifications for the job.
Today all resume types should include a short candidate profile, such as a resume summary or a resume objective.
Want to save time and have your resume ready in 5 minutes? Try our resume builder. It’s fast and easy to use. Plus, you’ll get ready-made content to add with one click. See 20+ resume templates and create your resume here.
Sample resume made with our builder—See more resume examples here.
Zety unveils the secrets of resume writing through carefully researched articles. Our experts give tips on selecting the best resume template, adding hobbies to your resume, and listing your educational background.