You're an academic, software engineer or really cool nerd. You want total control over your CV and resume template: LaTeX it is. Get inspired with this list.
As seen in:
You can draw a blind stick and get white-knuckle patients to crack a smile. Not to mention labeling, reporting, and storage. But when you send an application, you always feel a little pinch. Don’t worry. With the right spin on your phlebotomist cover letter, you’ll stand out like a median cubital.
Below, you’ll see a sample cover letter for phlebotomist jobs that gets interviews, with step-by-step instructions to fit it to your job search.
Want to write your cover letter fast? Use our cover letter builder. Choose from 20+ professional cover letter templates that match your resume. See actionable examples and get expert tips along the way.
Sample Cover Letter for a Resume—See more cover letter templates and create your cover letter here.
Phlebotomist Cover Letter Sample
2649 Grove Avenue
Oklahoma City, OK 73128
3820 Ruckman Road
Oklahoma City, OK 73102
Dear Ms. Harpe,
As an exacting phlebotomist and CPT with 3+ years of experience in successful venipuncture, I was happy to see your ad for a phlebotomist at LabCorp. LabCorp is the standalone leader in the field of healthcare diagnostics. I know from your ad that you need someone skilled in collecting, labeling, and storing specimens. You’re also seeking a phlebotomist who can maintain inventory and help with cost reduction. I think you’ll like my resume, based on a few highlights:
As a CPT at Chisholm Murrell Clinic, I performed 1,000+ successful venipunctures, collecting, labeling, and storing all samples properly. A new inventory maintenance system I created earned me a commendation when it cut supply waste by 15%, saving $300 per month on inventory costs. At my previous job at Life Peak Health, I also received the “Painless Sticks” award for the most positive patient feedback in the department.
What draws me to LabCorp is your reputation for providing world-class diagnostics in an employee-friendly setting. Working for you as a phlebotomist would let me take advantage of your excellent benefits packages, which I learned about on Glassdoor. I’m available most of next week to meet. I’d love to talk with you about how my skills in patient instruction, data entry, and HIPAA compliance can contribute to your record of excellence.
That phlebotomist cover letter sample will raise their heart rates. But before you make it yours, see our guide: Phlebotomist Resume Guide & Sample
Looking for different healthcare jobs? See these guides:
- RN Cover Letter Examples
- Medical Cover Letter Examples
- Dentist Cover Letter Examples
- Dental Assistant Cover Letter Examples
- Esthetician Cover Letter Examples
- Medical Assistant Cover Letter Examples
- Medical Receptionist Cover Letter Examples
- Medical Scribe Cover Letter Examples
- New Grad Registered Nurse (RN) Cover Letter Examples
- Nursing Cover Letter Examples
- Nursing Student Cover Letter Examples
- Pharmacist Cover Letter Examples
- Pharmacy Technician Cover Letter Examples
- Physical Therapy Cover Letter Examples
- Physician Assistant Cover Letter Examples
- Physician Cover Letter Examples
- CNA Cover Letter Examples
- Speech Language Pathologist Cover Letter Examples
- Occupational Therapist Cover Letter Examples
- Best Cover Letter Samples for All Careers
Phlebotomist Cover Letter Template
Here’s how to write a cover letter for a phlebotomist job application:
1. Use a professional phlebotomist cover letter format and layout
For a cover letter layout employers will absorb, follow these tips:
- Cover letter structure: set your margins at one inch all the way around—including sides, top, and bottom. Good margins make a letter more readable.
- Cover letter outline: 3–4 paragraphs is the most professional length. Your first paragraph hooks them. The second shows your skills, and the third asks for an interview.
- Cover letter line spacing: The right line spacing for a business letter is 1.15. Taller or shorter looks too loose or too crabbed.
- Cover letter font: Choose the same font as your resume—a clean, readable font like Georgia or Arial. Those are the most businesslike and will help you create a modern cover letter template.
Read more: Killer Cover Letter Example
2. Make a clean-looking phlebotomist cover letter header
- Make your cover letter for phlebotomist jobs more professional with an attractive header. List your contact information first, the date, and then the manager’s info.
- Start with your name and job title. Add your physical address, phone, and email address. Then list any relevant social media handles—especially LinkedIn.
- Put blank lines above and below the date to break up the header into readable chunks.
- You don’t need to add the hiring manager’s phone number and email address. Just use his or her name, title, company name, and street address.
3. Write a gripping first paragraph
- Your phlebotomy cover letter has to grab them right away. The first key is to find the hiring manager’s name and use it in your cover letter salutation.
- Quickly introduce yourself and share the title of the job you want. Remember that the manager doesn’t know who you are or why you’re writing.
- Stir up interest fast by talking about them. That means describing the job requirements, so they know you’re not just spamming them.
- Mention that you think they’ll like your resume, because you’ve got experience with the right phlebotomist job duties and responsibilities. (The ones from the job ad.)
Read more: How to Start Your Cover Letter
4. Show phlebotomist achievements that will drop their jaws
- Paragraph #2 has to prove you fit the job. That sounds daunting, but it’s a case of telling them about your best two or three phlebotomy accomplishments.
- Start by looking at the job duties from your first paragraph. Then talk about some resume accomplishments that show you did those things.
- For example, say they listed “accuracy” and “documentation” as key requirements in the job ad. If you maintained 100% accurate documentation, tell them now.
- Add numbers. Numbers make your case by showing that you didn’t just do the right phlebotomy tasks. You did them well.
Read more: What Should a Cover Letter Say
5. Prove you want this phlebotomist job
What do hiring managers fear most? Employees who ghost. Show them you’ll stick around:
- Use paragraph #3 to say a thing or two you like about the company (especially if you are writing a phlebotomist cover letter with no experience). If they know you like them, they’ll imagine you as a long-term employee. That saves time and money.
- Can’t think of anything you like? Google the company name, plus “mission statement.” Or look at their “about us” page online.
- You can also do a Google news search for the company. If they’ve won awards or announced new services, use those details to show what draws you to them.
Phlebotomist jobs are popping! According to U.S. labor data, they’ll grow much faster than average in the next 10 years. (By 23%)
6. End your phlebotomist cover letter with an offer
- Increase your chances of getting the interview by asking for it in your final paragraph. Say when you’re available to add some urgency.
- Give them a reason to interview you. Most often, that’s a promise of a conversation where you talk about how your phlebotomy skills can help.
- You can also mention salary requirements in your cover letter. Check on Glassdoor first to make sure you’re not way out of line.
Read more: How to End a Cover Letter
7. Include a professional sign-off at the end
- Close your cover sheet with, “Best regards.”
- Add your name, email address, phone number, and job title.
- You can include a digital version of your written signature to add a personal touch.
That’s it! You’re done. But how do you name a cover letter file? Just use the simple, “Cover_Letter_Your_Name.”
When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check. Start building your resume here.
When you’re done, Zety’s resume builder will score your resume and tell you exactly how to make it better.
Questions? Concerns? We’re here for you. If you’re still wondering how to write a cover letter for a phlebotomist with no experience, drop me a line in the comments.