A complete guide to writing a camp counselor resume. 20+ real examples that will show you how to describe your experience and write a professional resume. Use our camp counselor resume sample and template. Read more!
As seen in:
Demand for qualified academic advisors is expected to rise—
The number of people enrolling in higher education programs continues to increase each year.
What can set you apart from the competition?
A perfect academic advisor cover letter.
It’s where you show your passion for this job, not any job.
A well-written cover letter for your coveted academic advisor position leaves a lasting impression. With detail and precision, capture attention by showing your knowledge of the academic realm.
This guide will show you an academic advisor cover letter sample with the best tips on how to write a formal cover letter step-by-step.
Want to write your cover letter fast? Use our cover letter builder. Choose from 20+ professional cover letter templates that match your resume. See actionable examples and get expert tips along the way.
Academic advisor sample Cover Letter for a Resume—See more cover letter templates and create your cover letter here.
Don’t forget you need a pitch-perfect academic advisor resume as well. See our ultimate resume writing guide here: How to Make a Resume for a Job [From Application to Interview in 24hr]
Considering similar positions too? See other cover letter examples for jobs in your industry:
- Education Cover Letter Sample
- Academic Cover Letter Sample
- Psychology Cover Letter Sample
- Admissions Counselor Cover Letter Sample
- Graduate Assistantship Cover Letter Sample
- School Counselor Cover Letter Sample
- Teacher Cover Letter Sample
- Substitute Teacher Cover Letter Sample
- Research Associate Cover Letter Sample
- High School Cover Letter Sample
- College Student Cover Letter Sample
- College Resume Template for High School Students
- Cover Letter for Scholarship Application Sample
- Postdoc Cover Letter Sample
- Psychology Resume Sample
- Social Work Resume Sample
- Cover Letter for Internship Sample
- Art Teacher Cover Letter Sample
- Formal Cover Letter Sample
Want to explore your options further? See our full selection of cover letter examples for every career: Cover Letter Examples For Job.
Let’s get started then.
Academic Advisor Cover Letter Sample
Rhonda A. Sanchez
3476 West Drive
Lorraine D. Watson
Director of Personnel
633 Clark St.
Evanston, IL 60208
As an alumna of Northwestern University, I was thrilled to come across an opening for an Academic Advisor position with your university. In my current role as an Academic Advisor with DePaul University, I’ve helped boost GPA and score improvements up to 35%. I’m confident my expertise will help with Northwestern’s upcoming challenges.
I know what it takes to contribute to student success, supporting teachers in every opportunity, and creating new revenue for the institution. While working at DePaul University, I’ve mentored over 300 students, explained career and course paths, and identified at-risk students. I also helped mentor new academic advisors in the field and improved our overall student satisfaction rate by 15%.
The industry-famous Northwestern University’s emphasis on helping students achieve the best success imaginable is why I’m so excited about this opening. I’d love the opportunity to further my professional growth while translating the skills I develop into boosting all major KPIs for Northwestern University.
Can we schedule a call next week to discuss the position further for Academic Advisor at Northwestern University?
Rhonda A. Sanchez
PS—I'm also eager to explain how my time as a student at Northwestern University spent with a great academic advisor helped me achieve success during and after graduation.
Wow! That’s what a jaw-dropping academic advisor cover letter example looks like. Let’s make sure you have a step-by-step process on how to write yours now. But first—
Academic Advisor Cover Letter Template
Here’s a step-by-step guide to writing the best academic advisor cover letter for a job application:
1. Use the proper academic advisor cover letter format
- Have one-inch margins on all sides.
- Use single or 1.15 line spacing.
- Choose an elegant font in 11pt to 12pt size.
Read more: The Right Cover Letter Format
2. Create a professional cover letter header
- Start off with your full name and contact information in the top-left corner.
- Have your phone number, email address, and LinkedIn profile. Add a URL to your personal website or link to other profiles on social media if applicable.
- Impress HR teams with a professional flair by adding a city and date below your contact info.
- Lastly, address the letter to the hiring manager but remember to include their contact details.
Make sure to have the name of the hiring manager. If you can’t find it on the company’s website or LinkedIn, go the extra mile and call the reception to ask. It makes your cover letter more personable.
Read more: How to Address a Cover Letter
3. Open with a personal greeting and a compelling first paragraph
- Begin with “Dear” and use the hiring manager’s first name.
- Hook them off the bat: list your more relevant professional achievement. You’ll have them oozing to read on.
- Be sure to state what position you are applying for.
Read more: How to Start a Cover Letter the Right Way
4. Show why you’re the perfect candidate
- Personalization is key. Look at the job ad and make sure to show how your skills and experience will help them with their challenges.
- List some of the wins you’re most proud of.
- Validate your wins by using numbers and metrics.
You’re not writing a dissertation. Make it short and to the point. How long is too long? Check: How Long Should a Good Cover Letter Be?
5. Explain why you want in
- Tell them why you want this job more than any other.
- Let the staff know the great work they do. Drop some compliments but don’t make it over the top.
- Highlight how these positives make you likely to stay in this job for a period of time. They’ll worry less on taking a chance with a new hire.
6. Make an offer and include a call to action
- Tell them you would love to talk more about the position and suggest a time to meet.
- Show your value by offering to help with their goals.
Read more: The Best Cover Letter Ending Examples
7. Close with a professional sign-off
- Use your full name to finish off the letter.
- Include a digital copy of your handwritten signature below you sign-off (optional).
- Put your basic contact details in the footer.
Not too bad, right? Time for Netflix and chill!
You’re not off the hook yet. You want to show them how serious you are about landing the job, so make sure to follow up! Here’s how: Job Application Follow-Up: Examples, Dos, & Don’ts
And that’s it! You’re now one step closer to landing the position with a game-changing academic advisor cover letter.
As you’ve learned, a great cover letter can truly be a game-changer, but to have a shot at that dream job, you still need to write a perfect resume.
When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check. Pick a resume template here.
When you’re done, Zety’s resume builder will score your resume and tell you exactly how to make it better.
Thanks for reading! Now I’d love to hear from you. What did you think of our academic advisor cover letter examples? What are your best tips for writing an outstanding cover letter for an academic advisor? Drop me a line in the comments. Let’s chat!