What Resume Format Is Best for ATS Systems?
The best out of 3 resume formats for an ATS-compatible resume is reverse-chronological. It focuses on the work experience section, making career achievements easy to spot. The reverse-chronological format orders jobs from the most recent position, which helps highlight the relevant experience.
Follow these steps to create the best resume format for ATS systems:
- Use the reverse-chronological resume format.
- Tailor the resume to a specific job offer.
- Choose professional resume fonts to ensure readability.
- Label each resume section clearly.
- Use resume keywords to improve your chances of passing ATS scans.
- Don’t use visual elements such as tables, charts, or graphs.
- Save the resume in the PDF or DOC file format.
The good news is Zety’s resume builder follows the one and only resume format for ATS systems. It also suggests resume keywords to improve your job application! Just select the resume template you like best and let the builder do the work.
Sample resume made with our builder—See more resume examples here.
Zety has the answers to all resume-related questions. With our career blog, you can learn how to make a resume from scratch, learn the difference between a CV and a resume, and find ways to improve your resume.