List of resume action words, action verbs and power words to use instead of: team player, leadership, responsible for, communication, and lots more. Plus how to use power words in a resume to get more interviews. See lists of resume buzzwords, verbs, and adjectives, and which words to avoid and use to land that dream job fast!
As seen in:
Preparing a cashier cover letter?
You’re the face of the store: customers see you as they enter, and you assist them with their purchases on their way out.
But, before you go face-to-face with the store manager at a job interview, you need to create a top-notch cover letter for cashier jobs for them to check out.
This quick guide starts you off with a perfect sample cover letter for cashier jobs, as well as top tips on how to write a cashier cover letter with experience or without.
Want to write your cover letter fast? Use our cover letter builder. Choose from 20+ professional cover letter templates that match your resume. See actionable examples and get expert tips along the way.
Cashier Cover Letter for a Resume—See more cover letter templates and create your cover letter here.
Continue below for tips on how to tweak your cashier cover letter to perfection.
Even the most brilliant cashier application letter is irrelevant if your cashier resume isn’t packaged right. See this guide to give yours a once-over: Cashier Resume Samples and Writing Guide
Looking for something similar?
Here are other guides related to cashier cover letter examples:
- Retail Cover Letter
- Customer Service Cover Letter in 8 Simple Steps
- Receptionist Cover Letter
- Hospitality Cover Letter
- Apple Cover Letter
- Sales Representative Cover Letter
- Bartender Cover Letter
Want to explore your options further? See our full selection of cover letter examples for every career: Cover Letter Examples.
As mentioned, here is Zety’s idea of the ideal cashier cover letter sample:
Cashier Cover Letter Sample
Retail Store Cashier
3678 Patterson Fork Road
Chicago, IL 60654
July 2, 2019
Lillian L. Pizarro
Atlas Global Foods Supermarket
2892 Patterson Fork Road
Chicago, IL 60605
I’m currently a cashier at the local Pop & Shop over on E. Main St., and I enjoy the duties immensely. However, when I was given a link to the ad Atlas Global Foods posted for a new cashier, I knew I just had to apply immediately.
As a foodie with a love for international flavors and experiences, Atlas has been my favorite supermarket to find those obscure ingredients, as well as interesting new products I’ve not tried yet. And, with my retail cashier experience, I believe I would make a great addition to your team. I’ve had some small successes which I’m quite fond of, including:
- Scored highest out of customer satisfaction (99.75%) based on post-sale receipt survey.
- Increased sales by 5% by overhauling the impulse purchase offerings for customers as they’re waiting to pay.
Whether checking in a long line of guests or helping coworkers with closing tasks so we all leave on time, I am dedicated and motivated. I take much pride in any task I’m given, at the cash register or elsewhere.
If granted the time, I would love to discuss further how I think I am the ideal fit as a cashier for Atlas Global Foods Supermarket.
P.S.—Would you have time to have a quick lunch together? I would enjoy going into detail about my impulse area overhaul and how I believe I could bring a 5% increase in sales to Atlas.
Retail Store Cashier Cover Letter Template
Here’s how to make a cashier cover letter:
1. Use the Right Format on a Cover Letter for Cashier Positions
- Stick with single line spacing in the general text. Double spacing makes it look like a 3rd grader wrote it.
- Double space only between paragraphs and cover letter elements (e.g., dates, addresses).
- Pick the best font, and write the general text in 11–12pt size font.
- Align it all to the left, as this is standard business letter format.
Read more here: How to Select a Cover Letter Format
2. Create a Professional Cashier Clerk Cover Letter Heading Area
- In the top left of your cover letter for cashier job applications, add your name and mailing address.
- Include the date of writing (or the date you send the cover letter).
- Then, add the contact details of the recipient, including the manager’s name, title, and the store’s address.
Read more here: How to Add an Address on a Cover Letter
3. Open With a Salutation & Strong Intro on a Retail Cashier Cover Letter
- In your salutation, address the person who’ll review your cover letter directly by name.
- Introduce yourself and state that you are seeking to apply for this cashier job.
- Give them a brief summary of your background to compel them to read further.
Not able to find the name of the store manager or HR staff member no matter what? Don’t worry. Just choose something more neutral, like “Dear Hiring Manager.”
Read more here: How to Open a Cover Letter (Examples)
4. Show You’re the Best Candidate for Cashier Jobs
- Get out the cashier job description, because in its job requirements section is where you’ll find the exact skills and traits this store is searching for.
- Identify how your current experience and cashier skills fit their conditions.
A cover letter for cashiers should be neither too long nor too short. Get it right by reading our guide: How Long Should My Cover Letter Be?
5. Explain Why You Want to Be Hired at This Particular Store
- Tell the store manager that this store is the only one you want to work at.
- That means, no generic cover letters for retail cashier positions!
- Show the employer that you’re a perfect fit for the company culture.
Writing an entry-level cashier cover letter with no retail experience? Here’s a read just for your situation: First Time Cover Letter Without Experience
6. End the Cover Letter for Cashier Jobs Powerfully
- Write a brief closing statement of about 1 or 2 sentences.
- Ask to meet them to discuss further how you fit this store best.
- Leave the ball in their court with a strong call to action statement.
Read more here: How to Close a Cover Letter (Examples)
7. Close Out the Cashier Clerk Cover Letter With a Professional Sign-Off
- Use a regular closing sentiment (complimentary close), such as “sincerely.”
- Add your full name below that to end it.
- Consider utilizing a P.S. (postscript) statement below your signature, because it is effective at catching the hiring manager’s attention.
After you send in your store cashier cover letter, wait a bit. After some time, though, it’s fine for you to follow up. Here’s how: How to Follow Up on a Work Application
When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check. Start building your resume here.
When you’re done, Zety’s resume builder will score your resume and tell you exactly how to make it better.
Looking for more cashier cover letter with no experience samples or examples of checkout clerk cover letters? Need help documenting your retail skills and wins on your cover letter template? Let’s chat below, and thanks for reading!