As seen in:
“My head’s on fire!”
Your heart stopped beating for a moment. But—
It was just a nightmare. You watched beauty disasters on YouTube before sleep again.
Take a quick shower to wash that horrible image off, and prove you’re next Ted Gibson with your cosmetology cover letter.
This guide will show you a cosmetology cover letter example and the best tips on writing a cover letter for a cosmetology student or experienced cosmetologist step-by-step.
Want to write your cover letter fast? Use our cover letter builder. Choose from 20+ professional cover letter templates that match your resume. See actionable examples and get expert tips along the way.
Sample cover letter for a resume—See more cover letter templates and create your cover letter here.
Find related cover letter guides below:
- Esthetician Cover Letter Example
- Massage Therapist Cover Letter Example
- Fashion Cover Letter Example
- Interior Design Cover Letter Example
- Production Assistant Cover Letter Example
- Hospitality Cover Letter Example
- Physical Therapy Cover Letter Example
- Recent Graduate Cover Letter Example
- Career Change Cover Letter Example
- Entry Level Cover Letter Example
- Cover Letter Examples for All Jobs
Cosmetology Cover Letter Example
Florida, 9 April 2021
Bangs ‘n’ Booms
3651 Wilkinson Court
Cape Coral, FL 33990
I’ve been sharing some of my best work on my Instagram profile, and today my account hit 100,00 followers! Women are fascinated with the makeup trends I’ve been creating at the salon. Some trusted me enough to come from New York and Boston for makeup workshops. Not to mention we’re fully booked two months ahead.
It’s been 7 years since I started as a cosmetologist. From the moment I got my Florida State Cosmetology License COSMO 1 (DBPR), I got even more interested in the beauty products themselves. I devour labels and educate myself on the beauty product’s ingredients. Orange Aardvark Agency chose me as a favorite makeup artist, and I’ve been a cosmetologist of the month 5 times while working for EHM Wow.
My customers come to me for recommendations for their hair and skin daily routines. Not only did I manage to keep 98% positive opinions for 5 years, but I built myself a crowd of loyal customers, whose number has recently reached 50+. It’s one of the reasons for my record sale of hair and makeup products, $3,000 in a week’s total.
Bangs ‘n’ Booms is one of my favorite beauty spots in the entire Florida area. I admire how you care for your customers—men and women equally. My husband is your weekly client, and he’s always sharing raving reviews about you. It really is the place I see myself growing professionally.
Why don’t we schedule a meeting to speak about my skills and experience and how it’ll benefit the salon in the future?
P.S.—I’d love to all you all about the writeup I received in the Beauty on the Beach blog. The feedback has been fantastic.
Cosmetology Cover Letter Template
Here’s how to write a cosmetologist cover letter:
1. Use Your Aesthetic Sense to Format the Cover Letter
Would you do icy blonde hair without a toner?
Nobody would ever forgive you the yellowish highlights.
There are some fundamental rules to follow when writing a cover letter, too:
- Pick a cover letter design you’d like to go with. Think about the industry you’re in and have fun with it. There are plenty of free cover letter templates you can choose from.
- Don’t play too much with fonts, though. Pick a cover letter font that’s legible and easy on the eye, like Calibri or Helvetica.
- Go for the basics in your cover letter layout. Proper cover letter spacing and margins will make your application read easier.
- Create a cover letter header with your contact information. If you have a portfolio of your work (an Instagram or Pinterest profile, fan page on Facebook, your website, etc.), add it there.
- Name your cover letter file the following way and save it to PDF: JobTitle_YourName_CoverLetter.pdf.
2. Say “Hi!” to Your Recruiter the Right Way
So, you’re saying the salon is one of your favorite places, but you don’t know the owner’s name?
Writing any letter involves addressing it to a real person. Address them by name, then.
- Find the recruiter’s (most probably the owner’s) name in the job ad or website. If you can’t, call the place and ask who’s running the recruitment process.
- Write the cover letter greeting using “Dear” and their name. Forget about “Dear Sir or Madam” and “To Whom It May Concern.” Just forget about it.
Find out Who To Address The Cover Letter To
3. Go Bold In The Opening Paragraph
Let’s take out the big guns.
The projected number for cosmetologists is to grow by 110,500 workplaces over the next ten years.
You’ve got plenty of competition out there. So how can you sell yourself in a cover letter to get the job of your dreams?
- Make a tempting (but deliverable!) promise.
- Kick-off with a luscious professional accomplishment.
- Drop names.
- Offer a unique return.
- But most importantly, be yourself. Don’t try to fit in too hard. It’s very easy to spot desperation and get discouraged by it. Plus, lying on a job application is never a good idea.
Find more ideas on How To Start A Cover Letter
4. Prove You’ve Got What It Takes
A client showed you inspo on Pinterest, and you went bananas. It was one of your works.
How amazing is that?
If you’ve got talent, skills, and experience to back it up, write all about it. It’s not the time to cannibalize your successes.
- Find keywords in the job description. Use them throughout your cover letter to refer to the qualities and qualifications the salon is looking for. They’re your friends, not enemies.
- Work in power words and action verbs. Accomplishment statements are the best way to show your work’s impressive.
- If you’re writing a cosmetology student cover letter, mention transferable skills you picked up at school, courses, or in daily life. Stay relevant, and you’ll do just fine.
- Include both hard and soft skills in the letter. Customer service skills and hairstyling go hand in hand.
- Your cosmetology resume and cover letter samples are two different things. So, don’t copy and paste, but rather elaborate on one or two picks that stand out to you.
5. Highlight Your Motivation
“Girl! Have you seen her recent nail art? I need to book her. It looks freaking’ amazing!”
What’s your motivation, huh? Your recruiter read enough about you. Now show them why they are important.
- Be specific. Say what appeals to you in this particular place, why you want to join them, and only them.
- It means you can’t write a generic cover letter. You won’t even get 5 minutes of their time.
- Refer to the salon’s values, how they treat clients. Maybe they have a renowned stylist on the team?
- Make it personal.
Have a look at What The Best Cover Letter Looks Like
6. Book The Interview Yourself
You’re sticking your tongue out to make sure everything’s perfect. And then you see it.
You’ve done it again! And your client sees it, too.
Aim for such a smile when the recruiter lands on the final part of your cosmetologist cover letter.
- Call your recruiter to action and ask them for the interview. Don’t look forward to hearing from them. Take over.
- Sign the cover letter with a Thank you, Kind or Best regards, and your full name.
- To make them smile even broader, drop a bomb in the postscript with one of those achievements that nobody would look away from.
Check out How To End A Cover Letter
When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check. Start building a professional resume template here for free.
When you’re done, Zety’s resume builder will score your resume and tell you exactly how to make it better.
That’s a wrap.
Hope you enjoyed it!
And thank you for reading!
What do you think of these cover letter examples for cosmetologists? Are there any tips you think are worth adding about writing cover letter for a cosmetology resume? Is it difficult to find enough achievements to mention in a cover letter for cosmetology students?
Let us know in the comments!