We’ve combed the Internet to bring you a collection of 12 awesome Word cover letter templates. Plus, we'll show you how to use them in MS Word.
As seen in:
Your construction cover letter has to prove you’re solid gold on a jobsite. If it doesn’t, you might as well bury your resume in concrete. But a well-made cover letter for construction jobs will make your application sparkle. Sound hard? Follow the right plan to finish fast without a lot of rework.
This guide will show you a construction cover letter sample and the top tips on how to write a cover letter for construction jobs step-by-step.
Want to write your cover letter fast? Use our cover letter builder. Choose from 20+ professional cover letter templates that match your resume. See actionable examples and get expert tips along the way.
Sample cover letter for a resume—See more cover letter templates and create your cover letter here.
Sample Cover Letter for Construction Job
627 Church Street
Queens, NY 11101
4702 Anmoore Road
Queens, NY 11103
Dear Mr. Graves,
I was so glad to find your advertisement for a construction manager on LinkedIn. As a construction manager with 4 years of experience overseeing projects with budgets of $5M to $100M, I believe I have the skills to fill the role. You are New York’s premier infrastructure firm, solving complex challenges in industrial and government sectors. You need a construction manager who can lead teams, manage budgets, and communicate with clients.
I’ve worked as a construction manager for 4 years and in the industry for 10. At Jandreau Brothers Construction, I led two teams of 20+ employees each, including supervisors and laborers such as framers, steel workers, drywallers, electricians, and plumbers. Not only did I manage budgets of $5M to $100M for 20+ projects, but I consistently completed projects on time and 5% under budget. I achieved this success through better vendor management and communication with both team members and customers.
I also achieved 98% on-time completion of all projects and slashed safety incidents by 90% through the implementation of a BBS Safety Program. Defect-free work has always been my hallmark and my goal. A construction manager job at Breuer Group would let me expand my skills with an industry-leading firm.
I would value the opportunity to talk with you next week about how I can help streamline your budgeting and team management. Can we set up a time for a quick chat?
That’s a world-class construction cover letter sample.
But—it’s just the first step! See our guide: Construction Resume Sample
Hunting specific construction jobs? See these guides:
- Architecture Cover Letter Example
- Engineering Internship Cover Letter Example
- Engineering Cover Letter Example
- Electrician Cover Letter Example
- Electrical Engineer Cover Letter Example
- Manager Cover Letter Example
- Project Manager Cover Letter Example
- Project Coordinator Cover Letter Example
- Interior Design Cover Letter Example
- Formal Cover Letter Example
- Best Cover Letter Samples for All Careers
Construction Cover Letter Template
Here’s how to write a cover letter for a construction job application:
1. Use the perfect construction cover letter format and layout
- Cover letter layout: 3-4 paragraphs.
- Cover letter line spacing: 1.15.
- Cover letter font: Choose a professional font (Arial, Noto Garamond, Helvetica).
- Margins: 1 inch on all four edges.
- Cover letter design: modern cover letter templates work best.
Read more: Cover Letter Format
2. Make a professional construction cover letter header
- Address your cover letter first.
- Include your address, today’s date, then the hiring manager’s address.
- Use your cover letter header in your resume too, in case the sheets get separated.
- List your name, job title, street address, phone number, email, and LinkedIn.
Read more: How to Address a Cover Letter
3. Restate the construction company’s needs in your first paragraph
- Start with the best cover letter salutation which is “Dear [Manager Name],”. If you don't know the hiring manager's name, use "Dear Hiring Manager", but never go with "To Whom It May Concern".
- Clarify the position you’re writing about.
- Talk about the company’s needs, so they know you know.
- (Find their needs in the job posting.)
Read more: How to Start a Cover Letter
4. Show you’re the right choice
- In the second part of your cover letter, tell them your achievements.
- Pick their top 3–4 job requirements, then show you’ve mastered them.
- Include specific skills they mention in the job ad. Give prominence to your technical skills.
- Use numbers to show your key construction talents.
- You can restate the top few work achievements from your resume.
Do you need a construction cover letter? See our guide: Do I Need a Cover Letter? Are Cover Letters still Necessary?
5. Say why you’re interested in this construction job
- Prove this construction job matters to you.
- Find a few ways the position would help you succeed.
- Doing this shows them you’ll be a long-term hire.
There are 1.6 million construction jobs in the US, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The market is growing fast, but the best jobs go to the top cover letters and resumes.
6. End your construction cover letter with an offer
- Sweeten the deal with more needed construction skills.
- Get them looking forward to the conversation with a promise.
- Ask for an interview.
Read more: The Best Cover Letter Endings
7. Create a formal sign-off
- Finish with, “Best regards,” and your printed name.
- Add a digital signature for a touch of class.
- End with your email address and phone number.
Read more: Cover Letter Title: How to Name Your File?
And that's how you write a perfect cover letter!
When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check. Start building a professional resume template here for free.
When you’re done, Zety’s resume builder will score your resume and tell you exactly how to make it better.
Questions? Concerns? We’re here for you. If you still don’t know how to write a Turner-worthy cover letter for construction jobs, drop me a line in the comments.