We’ve combed the Internet to bring you a collection of 12 awesome Word cover letter templates. Plus, we'll show you how to use them in MS Word.
As seen in:
Your editor cover letter needs a strong lede, an engaging first-paragraph, and enough hard research to get you past the paywall. That starts with knowing the publication and the job requirements. Then, give a glimpse of your past editor achievements to compel them to pick up the phone.
This guide will show you an editor cover letter sample and the best tips on how to write a cover letter for editor jobs step-by-step.
Want to write your cover letter fast? Use our cover letter builder. Choose from 20+ professional cover letter templates that match your resume. See actionable examples and get expert tips along the way.
Editor Cover Letter for a Resume—See more cover letter templates and create your cover letter here.
Editor Cover Letter Sample
102 81st Street Apt 4-15
New York, NY 11372
611 5th Ave, Suites 50–60
New York, NY, 10119
Dear Ms. Sturm,
As a digital editor with six years of experience growing readership by the millions, I was excited to see your ad for an editor at Abraxis Link Magazine. Your publication features articles of interest to parents, on topics like gear, play, money, love, health, and more. You’re seeking a passionate editor with strong standards who can mentor junior editors and writers, as well as guide stringent fact-checking and grow readership through producing a steady flow of high-value content. I think you’ll find my resume refreshing.
At Family Drift, I mentored 3 junior editors and 5 in-house writers, plus a pool of over 30 freelancers. During my time there, I grew readership by 250%, from 1M per month to 3.5M per month. I implemented a new fact-checking procedure that cut time to check articles by 25% while slashing inaccuracies by 50%. I also increased output by 20% per month without raising monthly budgets, through implementing a less labor-intensive editing process that saved time for writers and editorial staff alike.
Under my guidance, Family Drift received the Digiday Content Marketing Award, the John Chancellor Award, and the Livingston Award. Working as an editor at Abraxis Link would help me pursue my passion for journalism excellence in a nationally-recognized working environment.
I’d value the opportunity to meet with you to discuss how my skills in leadership and planning can help increase readership at Abraxis Link. Can we set up a meeting early next week?
That’s a Booker-worthy cover letter sample.
But your resume counts for even more. See our guide: Editor Resume Sample
Looking for other creative or writing jobs? See these guides:
- Editorial Assistant Cover Letter Sample
- Journalism Cover Letter Sample
- Marketing Cover Letter Sample
- Marketing Manager Cover Letter Sample
- Public Relations Cover Letter Sample
- Business Cover Letter Sample
- Consulting Cover Letter Sample
- Social Media Manager Cover Letter Sample
- Technical Writer Cover Letter Sample
- Acting Cover Letter Sample
- Graphic Design Cover Letter Sample
- Translator Cover Letter Sample
- Cover Letter Sample for Job Application: All Careers
Editor Cover Letter Template
Here’s how to write a cover letter for an editor job application:
1. Use the best editor cover letter format and layout
- Margins: 1 inch.
- Paragraphs: 3 to 4.
- Cover letter font: Choose a professional font (Didot, Cambria, Trebuchet, Verdana).
- Cover letter line spacing: 1.15.
- Use a modern cover letter template to make your document easy on the eye.
Read more: Cover Letter Outline: Best Examples
2. Write a professional editor cover letter header
- First step: write your address.
- List your name, job title, physical address, phone number, email, and LinkedIn.
- Add a blank line, today’s date, then another blank line.
- Include the manager’s name, title, and street address.
- Design your cover letter header so it matches your resume header.
Read more: How to Address a Cover Letter
3. Write a personal greeting and a gripping first paragraph
- Start with “Dear [Manager Name],”, forget the old-fashioned “To Whom It May Concern” cover letter salutation.
- Name the job title you’re applying for.
- Say something good about the publication with wording from their mission statement.
- Describe the job duties from the ad, so they know you’re on the ball.
- Convey passion for the role.
Read more: Best Ways to Start a Cover Letter
4. Show editorial achievements in your second paragraph
- List a few ways you fit the job.
- Include resume achievements that drive your points home.
- Add numbers to put yourself in the LA-Times-zone.
Not sure what to say? See our guide: What Should a Cover Letter Say?
5. Tell why you want this editor job
- Use the middle part of your cover letter to show you care about this editor job.
- This is the only way to reassure them you won’t get bored soon and move on.
- To do it, tell them how the role would improve your career and skills.
Editor jobs are falling fast, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. We lose 340 editorial positions for year in the U.S., so your cover letter can’t be boilerplate.
6. End your editor cover letter with an offer
- Tell them you’d value the interview.
- Promise an engaging discussion about meeting the publication’s goals.
- Don’t mention salary requirements in your cover letter.
- Ask to set up a meeting.
Read more: How to End a Cover Letter
7. Add a professional sign-off at the end
- Finish with, “Best regards,”.
- Include a digitized version of your signature for added professionalism.
- End with your name, title, phone number, and email.
Read more: Perfect Cover Letter for Any Job
When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check. Start building professional resume template here for free.
When you’re done, Zety’s resume builder will score your resume and tell you exactly how to make it better.
Questions? Concerns? We’re here for you. If you’re still unsure how to write a Chicago-Tribune-level cover letter for copy and content editor jobs, drop me a line in the comments.