Associate Attorney Resume: Guide With Key Skills & Sample
Not sure if you’re getting your associate attorney resume right? Our associate attorney resume sample can also help you determine which skills to include.
As seen in:
What do an associate attorney resume and an affidavit have in common? Well… you don’t want to lie on both. But with the right approach, you’ll never have to.
How do you write an associate attorney resume highlighting your best suits and showing the recruiters that you’re partner material? This guide will show you the right steps, structure, and skills that will make your resume an exhibit of your excellence.
Want to save time and have your resume ready in 5 minutes? Try our resume builder. It’s fast and easy to use. Plus, you’ll get ready-made content to add with one click. See 20+ resume templates and create your resume here.
Sample resume made with our builder—See more resume samples here.
Associate Attorney Resume Sample
A driven third-year associate attorney dedicated to exceeding expectations and delivering high-quality service at all times. Aimed to secure clients' best possible outcomes through meticulous research and analysis. Eager to join Pierce & Associates to apply my expertise and delve into diverse legal issues, assess legal options, and propose viable legal solutions.
Meyers, Lloyd & Partners, Philadelphia
- Preparing legal documentation and drafting discovery (up to 10 cases concurrently.)
- Conducting and defending depositions and witness interviews (5–15 monthly.)
- Representing clients during meetings and hearings; advocating for acquittal or clemency.
- Contributing to additional tasks related to client matters as needed by the Principal Attorney.
- Provided trial preparation assistance for over 130 successful cases.
Briggs Austern, Philadelphia
September 2019–January 2020
- Drafted and proofread contracts, wills, deeds, motions, briefs, complaints, pleadings, and other legal documentation.
- Reviewed case files and provided commentary on further actions necessary.
- Participated in 10+ client interviews and gathered notes to assist the work of the attorneys.
- Facilitated a successful completion of a difficult case by finding a legal precedent during extensive research.
University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School, Philadelphia
September 2016–July 2019
- Corporate law
- Excel proficiency
- Research & analysis
- Excellent communication skills
- Client relationship management
- Time management
- Attention to detail
- Pennsylvania State Bar, 2020
- Spanish—Minimum working proficiency.
How to Write an Associate Attorney Resume
The following steps will guide you through the creation of an associate attorney resume:
- Go with the traditional reverse-chronological resume. Use your best judgment, though—a different resume format may be a good choice if you don’t have a lot of experience.
- Comply with due process on the formatting. Select a resume font that looks professional, set the size to 12 pts (don’t go lower than 10 pts, as it will affect readability), line spacing to 1–1.5, and even one-inch resume margins on all sides.
- Follow precedent on the structure of your resume. Use headings and bold type to separate resume sections, place them in the correct order (see below), and position additional information strategically after the main sections.
- Consider picking a resume template that best fits your needs. It will make the whole procedure more straightforward. A one-page resume template works great if you have under ten years of experience. Otherwise, a two-page resume will do.
- State your intentions upfront in the header of your resume by mentioning your name, desired position, and contact information (think of the top part of your resume as a preamble).
- Display your main assets in the summary of your resume. If it’s an entry-level resume, write a resume objective.
- Prove you’re bona fide in your work history section. Tailor your resume carefully to the job description and emphasize relevant experience to show you’re the real deal.
- Describe your credentials in the education section—that’s a deliverable that comes by default. Ongoing education or applicable certifications can be added to your associate attorney resume as extra sections.
- Remember that your work experience should serve as a warranty for your skills, i.e., reflect how you’ve applied those skills in action! Keep that in mind when you decide which skills should be included in your resume (in a separate Skills section).
- Double-check everything: proofread, then proofread again. Make sure you’ve added the right resume keywords and that every word serves a purpose. Download your resume as a PDF (unless asked otherwise), send it, and prepare for the verdict: “Hired!”
For more in-depth tips, read this guide: How to Write a Great Resume
Pro Tip: Thinking of applying with a resume alone? Objection! Learn how to write a compelling cover letter to match your resume and increase your chances significantly.
Key Skills to Add to Your Associate Attorney Resume
While the required hard and soft skills may vary across industries, there are core skills you should add to your resume to give the recruiters the verification they expect. Show that you understand the full scope of your duties and that, de facto, you’re just the right fit for the opportunity.
Consider these top 10 universal skills for your associate attorney resume:
- Legislative knowledge (according to specialty.)
- Being business-minded/commercially aware (i.e., knowing the potential implications of your work.)
- High level of responsibility.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Analytical skills.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Verbal and written communication.
- Resilience/ability to work under pressure.
Pro Tip: Make sure your attorney cover letter also contains evidence of the skills you list in your resume.
Need a Guide for a Different Position in Legal? Here’s What We Have:
- Law/Legal Resume
- Attorney/Lawyer Resume
- Paralegal Resume
- Legal Assistant Resume
- Criminal Justice Resume
- Law Student Resume
- Law School Application Resume
When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check. Start building a professional resume template here for free.
When you’re done, Zety’s resume builder will score your resume and tell you exactly how to make it better.
Do you feel confident about writing a strong associate attorney resume? Would you like us to add anything? Please, share your suggestions in the comments below.