Our customers have been hired by:
Writing a dentist cover letter is worse than pulling teeth. A lot worse. And if you don’t convince the reader that your resume is worth reading, you’ll never get that cake job. So—your cover letter for dentist positions has to start with a bang, then introduce your skills in a tried and tested formula.
Don’t fret. You’re about to see a perfect sample cover letter for dentist jobs that lands interviews, with a step-by-step process to make it yours.
Want to write your cover letter fast? Use our cover letter builder. Choose from 20+ professional cover letter templates that match your resume. See actionable examples and get expert tips along the way.
Sample cover letter for a resume—See more cover letter samples and create your cover letter here.
Dentist Cover Letter Sample
General Dentist & Hygiene Specialist
2101 Old Dear Lane
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Lloyd & Marusek Dentistry
2027 Marshville Road
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Dear Ms. Lloyd,
As a personable dentist with 4+ years of experience assessing and supporting patient oral health, I was glad to see your ad for a dentist on LinkedIn. I enjoyed your webinar last month on building successful patient relationships, and I know you’re looking for a dentist with a strong working knowledge of orthodontics, maxillofacial surgery, and periodontics, who can work efficiently in a fast-paced environment. I think you’ll be happy with what you find in my resume.
At Manhattan Dental Practice, I ran multiple operatories efficiently, performing several operations daily and serving upwards of 20 total patients per day. I performed regular interventions in maxillofacial surgery, orthodontics, and periodontics, with a 100% success rate and 100% patient satisfaction score. I also developed a new working method dubbed “five handed dentistry,” which improved dental operation times by 25%.
Before I worked at MDP, I built my skills as a dental assistant at Astoria Teeth & Gums, where I received a 100% rating for having the friendliest chairside manner. I also learned a lot about patient education there and built a lasting respect of keeping clean, accurate, consistent records and documentation in digital form.
Working as a dentist at Lloyd & Marusek Dentistry would allow me to put my skills to work for a well-respected suburban team. My wife and I have just closed on a house in Poughkeepsie, and I’ve done my research on the surrounding practices. Yours has an almost unheard of 5-star review on Healthgrades, matching my own personal 5-star score. Could we set aside some time to meet next week to discuss how I can add to Lloyd & Marusek’s reputation for excellence?
General Dentist & Hygiene Specialist
That’s a sparkling dentist cover letter sample. But does your resume need bridge work? See our guide: Dentist Resume Sample
Seeking different jobs? See these guides:
- Dental Assistant Cover Letter
- Dental Hygiene / Hygienist Cover Letter
- Medical Cover Letter
- Medical Assistant Cover Letter
- New Grad Registered Nurse (RN) Cover Letter
- Pharmacy Technician Cover Letter
- Physician Assistant Cover Letter
- Physician Cover Letter
- Medical Scribe Cover Letter
- Medical Receptionist Cover Letter
- Nursing Cover Letter
- RN Cover Letter
- CNA Cover Letter
- New Grad Nurse Cover Letter
- Emergency Medical Technician Cover Letter
- Career Change Cover Letter
- Entry-Level Cover Letter
- Relocation Cover Letter
- Massage Therapist Cover Letter
- Veterinary Assistant Cover Letter
- Cover Letter Sample for Job Application: All Careers
Dentist Cover Letter Template
Here’s how to write a cover letter for a dentist job application:
1. Select the perfect dentist cover letter format and layout
Here are the best tips for your cover letter design:
- A modern cover letter template should consist of 3 to 4 paragraphs.
- Use 1-inch margins on every edge.
- Cover letter line spacing: 1.15.
- Cover letter font: Arial, Georgia, Calibri, Cambria, or other trusted font.
Read more: Cover Letter Layout
2. Build a professional dentist cover letter header
- Start with your name and job title.
- Add your mailing address, phone, email address, and LinkedIn.
- Skip a line.
- Add the date and skip another line.
- List the hiring manager’s name, title, name of company, and address.
- Make your cover letter heading match your resume heading.
Read more: How to Address a Cover Letter
3. Write a winning first paragraph of your dentist cover letter
- Start with “Dear [Hiring Manager Name],” as your cover letter salutation to catch the eye fast.
- Mention the specific job opening in the first sentence.
- Break the ice with a positive fact about the practice or the manager.
- If you can’t find a fact, do a little research on the web or reach out to current employees.
- Briefly restate what they’re looking for, according to the job ad.
Read more: How to Start a Cover Letter
4. Share a few dentist achievements in the second paragraph
- Look at their job description.
- Tell about your top few resume accomplishments that fit the description.
- Add numbers to show size and scale.
Read more: How to Format a Cover Letter
5. Explain why this dentist job matters to you
- Think about why this dentist position is better than many others.
- Explain that to the manager, to prove you’ll stick around.
- Share at least one way the job will benefit your life or your career.
There’s a dentist shortage, according to the ADA, but that doesn’t mean you’ll get hired by your first pick. Your dentist cover letter has to show they’re your first pick, and why you should be theirs.
6. End your dentist cover letter with an offer
- Use the final paragraph to request a meeting.
- Offer to discuss something they want, like more revenue or better patient relationships.
- Mention a time frame.
- Don’t include salary requirements in your cover letter. You’ll have plenty of time to discuss it later.
Read more: How to End a Cover Letter
7. Include a professional sign-off in your dentistry cover letter
- Finish with, “Best regards,”.
- Add your written signature in digital form to show professionalism.
- Close with your name, title, phone number, and email.
Follow up with a weekly phone call or email to keep your application fresh. Learn more: Application Follow-Up Email Templates
When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check. Start building a professional resume template here for free.
Questions? Concerns? We’re here for you. If you’re still wondering how to write a gleaming dental cover letter, drop me a line in the comments.
About Zety’s Editorial Process
This article has been reviewed by our editorial team to make sure it follows Zety's editorial guidelines. We’re committed to sharing our expertise and giving you trustworthy career advice tailored to your needs. High-quality content is what brings over 40 million readers to our site every year. But we don't stop there. Our team conducts original research to understand the job market better, and we pride ourselves on being quoted by top universities and prime media outlets from around the world.