As seen in:
Not many people understand the range of skills and training required to become a good plumber. Being physically fit? Check. A knack for problem-solving? Check. An ability to see the big picture within minutes? You bet.
It seems like you already have everything you need to impress. But would you like to know how to turn all your knowledge and experience into a winning plumber resume that will get you that promotion?
This guide will show you:
- A plumber resume example better than 9 out of 10 other resumes.
- How to write a plumber resume that will land you more interviews.
- Tips and examples of how to put skills and achievements on a plumber resume.
- How to describe your experience on a resume for a plumber to get any job you want.
Want to save time and have your resume ready in 5 minutes? Try our resume builder. It’s fast and easy to use. Plus, you’ll get ready-made content to add with one click. See 20+ resume templates and create your resume here.
Sample resume made with our builder—See more resume samples here.
Plumber Resume Sample
Alan Atlasi, Licensed Plumber
Efficient plumber with 7+ years of experience. Skilled in PEX and copper installation, repair, and maintenance. Seeking to deliver high-quality work for Benny Sondergeld Services. At Dickinson Elwood, completed work 20% faster than company average, with 95% customer satisfaction ratings and 10% less errors. Volunteered to work on call 365 days a year.
Dickinson Elwood Plumbing
May 2013–May 2019
- Worked in a high-volume plumbing business, completing 10–30 client calls per week.
- Installed new plumbing systems on 20+ $1M–$3M homes.
- Finished jobs 20% faster than average for the business, maintaining a 95% customer satisfaction average, with 10% less mistakes.
- Worked on call 365 days a year for 4 years straight.
Jim’s Rooter of Lexington
April 2012–June 2013
- Answered 50+ customer calls per week.
- Maintained upsell rate 15% higher than franchise average.
2012–2012 Ivy Tech Community College of Lexington
Vocational Training and Apprenticeship
- Commended 6x by the contractor I apprenticed with for efficiency.
- Excelled in new installation instruction.
Journeyman License #8823473, Kentucky Division of Plumbing
- Technical Skills: Installation, repair, PEX, copper, sewage lines, PVC, venting
- Soft Skills: Physical fitness, problem solving, strong work ethic, customer service
- Coach boys soccer ages 4–6.
- Avid deer hunter and outdoorsman.
Do you need a plumbing resume or something from a different branch? See our other guides:
- Architecture Resume Sample & Guide
- Construction Resume Sample & Guide
- HVAC Resume Sample & Guide
- Landscaping Resume Sample & Guide
- Maintenance Resume Sample & Guide
- Electrician Resume Sample & Guide
- Painter Resume Sample & Guide
- Mechanic Resume Sample & Guide
- Handyman Resume Sample & Guide
- Sample Resumes for Any Job
Here’s how to write a plumber resume that gets jobs:
1. Start With the Best Plumber Resume Format
Plumbers install and repair plumbing in offices, schools, homes, and other structures. They may do new work, fix existing systems, or do a mix of both. A plumber resume has to show skills in installation and remediation, plus a strong work ethic and problem-solving skills.
Here’s how to format a resume for plumber jobs:
- Start with the reverse chronological resume template. That layout of resumes works well for plumbers because it shows recent work up top.
- The best heading for resumes starts with a name in large font, then “Licensed Plumber.”
- You don’t have to write an address on your resume for plumbing jobs. List your city, phone, and email.
- Sections to include on resume are experience, education, skills, and “other” sections like volunteer work or interests.
- Save your plumbing resume in PDF format unless the hiring manager says not to. That way it won’t go haywire after sending.
Pro Tip: Wondering what font to use for a resume? We like Georgia, Cambria, and Arial because they’re readable. Leave white space here and there for comfort.
2. Write a Plumber Resume Objective or Resume Summary
Summarize your plumber resume beneath your heading. Make a short elevator pitch for a job with your most winning features.
There are two ways to write this professional resume profile
Experienced plumbers (two years or more) should write a professional summary for resume use.
That lists title, top-line skills, accomplishments that prove them, and years of experience.
When writing a new resume or high school student resume with no work experience, you can’t talk about work history.
So—write a career objective for your resume. That’s where you hit on general skills.
Write either one last so you’ll know what you’re summarizing.
Pro Tip: What’s the right plumber’s resume length? One page. Two is too much, and half a page looks like you don’t care. Can’t fill a page? Read on.
3. Solder Your Resume to the Plumber Job Description
Here’s how to stand out:
Describe your relevant experience in a resume so it fits what you’re applying for.
- Write business titles, company names, and employment dates for all your jobs.
- Add plumbing achievements like “10–30 client calls per week” or “20% faster than company average.” (The numbers show the size of the accomplishment.)
- Write with plumber resume action words like finished, answered, or commended to tig-weld employers’ eyes to your resume.
4. Customize Your Plumber Resume Education Section
There’s no need to show magna cum laude on a resume for plumber jobs.
List your program’s name, degree, and dates, along with your apprenticeship.
If you excelled in new installation education, say that.
5. List Plumber Skills in Your Resume
Add professional skills to a resume for plumbing jobs.
Plumber Resume Skills
Hard Skills for Plumbers:
- Light wiring
- Light carpentry
- Making fixtures
- Cleaning pipes
Soft Skills for a Resume for Plumbers:
- Interpersonal skills
- Time management
- Customer service
- Physical strength
- Problem solving
- Written and verbal communication
- Active listening
When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check. Start building a professional resume template here for free.
6. Add Other Sections to Your Plumber Resume
Get the interview.
Add extra resume categories to your plumber resume.
- Union membership
- Associations (UA)
- Commendations from employers
- Languages in a resume
You can also list hobbies in a resume for plumbing jobs.
Pro Tip: Not sure where to put volunteer work on a resume for plumber positions? If it’s plumber volunteering, dedicate a section to it, with bullet points. If not, file it under “Activities.”
7. Send a Cover Letter With Your Plumber Resume
Should I include a cover letter in my plumber resume?
Here’s how to write a cover letter that gets interviews:
- The best cover letter format uses the three paragraph approach.
- The opening sentence for your cover letter needs a hook. Use a company fact you love or your #1 accomplishment.
- Put passion in the middle paragraph. That can just mean showing feats that fit the job.
- Know how to sign off a cover letter—with some kind of offer. For example, “I’d be glad to explain how I maintained a 95% customer satisfaction score for three years.”
- Here’s how long a cover letter should be: ½ a page.
You should send a follow up email for a job application after three days. You can send another once a week.
Plus, a great cover letter that matches your resume will give you an advantage over other candidates. You can write it in our cover letter builder here. Here's what it may look like:
That’s how to write a plumber resume.
Don’t have enough experience to write a good plumbing resume? Can’t make a good summary for your resume for plumber jobs? Give us a shout in the comments. We’d love to talk!
About Zety’s Editorial Process
This article has been reviewed by our editorial team to make sure it follows Zety's editorial guidelines. We’re committed to sharing our expertise and giving you trustworthy career advice tailored to your needs. High-quality content is what brings over 40 million readers to our site every year. But we don't stop there. Our team conducts original research to understand the job market better, and we pride ourselves on being quoted by top universities and prime media outlets from around the world.