Our customers have been hired by:
A business development representative’s job is a highly versatile one: it involves a deep understanding of people and product, long-term strategic thinking, and a great deal of charm.
How do you express all that in a resume? Read our article to learn how to write a business development representative resume strategically and map it out for success. Plus, you’ll get a sample and a list of key business development representative skills to get you inspired.
Want to save time and have your resume ready in 5 minutes? Try our resume builder. It’s fast and easy to use. Plus, you’ll get ready-made content to add with one click. See 20+ resume templates and create your resume here.
Sample resume made with our builder—See more resume examples here.
Business Development Representative Resume Example
Business Development Representative
A goal-oriented business development representative with a passion for metrics and data-driven results. Strong sales background and understanding of customer needs and behavior. Revamped the ChitChat outreach efforts, bringing in over $500,000 through fresh leads. Built a strong network of returning customers at Zectio, being the top salesman 5 months in a row. Eager to join Etsy and explore new market possibilities, uncover opportunities, and establish strong and profitable partnerships.
Business Development Representative
ChitChat, Los Angeles, CA
October 2019–June 2022
- Held 3–6 discovery meetings daily for sales representatives and prospects.
- Designed and oversaw an outreach strategy that brought in over 50 new business opportunities.
- Assessed, qualified, and prioritized the sales pipeline, documenting the best practices to create company guidelines for existing and prospective employees.
- Initiated a personalized email campaign that secured a 27% increase in revenue.
Zectio, Des Moines, IA
October 2014–September 2019
- Conducted up to 6 demos daily for prospective customers.
- Upsold 5-30% across most of the successful purchases.
- Maintained lasting customer relationships that resulted in 1 out of 3 customers returning.
- Signed the biggest sales deal in the history of the company, totaling over $250,000 one-time, with future renewals.
Bachelor in Communication Studies
Upper Iowa University, Fayette, IA
September 2010–July 2014
- Communication (written and verbal)
- Relationship management
- CRM software
- French—Minimum working proficiency
How to Write a Business Development Representative Resume
Follow these simple steps to write a business development representative resume that impresses:
- Decide on the resume format. For candidates with experience, a reverse chronological resume is the best choice. Going with a functional format or a combination resume can help your application if you’re switching careers or just starting out.
- Make it look polished. Choose a suitable resume font (10–12 pts), use bold type or italics, and create headings for structure and readability. Keep enough white space with 1–1.5 line spacing and even resume margins (1 inch). Align left.
- Map out the right resume sections. There are several obligatory ones (below), and you can also add some additional resume information for things like industry awards and achievements or continuing education, training, and even relevant hobbies and interests.
- Start with a resume header. It has to inform the recruiter about who you are and which position you are applying for, plus provide your contact details in case they want to get back to you (and they will!).
- Follow with a resume summary—probably the most important part of the resume. It has to contain a condensed description of your professional successes and qualifications. A resume with no experience calls for a resume objective.
- Target your resume to the position. The work experience section that comes next has to rely not just on your background, but also on the requirements of the potential employer.
- Mention your credentials. List the last stage of your education in the corresponding education section. For a new college graduate resume, add academic achievements to make up for the lack of experience.
- Add professional skills to your resume. Make sure they correlate with the relevant experience you’ve included previously.
- Pick a resume template. This alternative will save you time and guarantee your resume will pass the ATS.
- Proofread and save your resume in PDF. See if you can replace weak phrasing with power words or action verbs, and if everything looks good, prepare for sending!
If you’d like to learn more, we have an in-depth guide: How to Write a Resume for Any Job
Pro Tip: Remember that an application consisting of a business development rep resume only is incomplete—you’ll have to write a cover letter.
Key Skills to Add to Your Business Development Representative Resume
Your main goal as a business development representative is to generate as much new business as possible, and your skill set should reflect that ability. Besides some necessary industry-specific hard skills (like CRM software or SEO tools), you’ll need a variety of core soft skills to persuade the recruiters you’re the right choice. We’ve compiled a list of resume skills examples to help you come up with ideas for your own business development rep resume.
Here are the top 10 skills to put on a resume for business development representatives:
- Marketing skills + software (based on the job description)
- Excellent verbal and written communication (for cold calls and more)
- Interpersonal skills
- Efficient networking, building relationships
- Needs analysis
- Time management & organizational skills
- Strategic thinking
- Presentation skills
Pro Tip: Study the position description carefully to decide which hard and soft skills to put on your resume—don’t just list them randomly. A resume tailored to the job ad will always beat a generic one.
Looking for Something Else? Have a Look at These Guides:
- Business Development Manager Resume
- Customer Service Representative Resume
- Customer Success Manager Resume
- Communications Specialist Resume
- Brand Manager Resume
- Sales Representative Resume
- Sales Manager Resume
- SEO Specialist Resume
- Marketing Resume
- Big Data Resume
When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check. Start building a professional resume template here for free.
Thanks for reading this article on how to write a resume for a business development representative. Did you find the tips helpful? Do you think we could add something? Feel free to start a conversation below.
About Zety’s Editorial Process
This article has been reviewed by our editorial team to make sure it follows Zety's editorial guidelines. We’re committed to sharing our expertise and giving you trustworthy career advice tailored to your needs. High-quality content is what brings over 40 million readers to our site every year. But we don't stop there. Our team conducts original research to understand the job market better, and we pride ourselves on being quoted by top universities and prime media outlets from around the world.