A summary of qualifications sells your best points before the manager reads your resume. Learn how to write a qualifications summary for your resume and boost chances of getting an interview.
As seen in:
So, you want to get hired so that you can hire people? It means you need to make a perfect resume for human resources manager. Because before you get to judge other people’s applications, you need to craft your own—and it ought to be irresistibly good. Unless, of course, you want it to gather dust on a senior HR manager’s desk.
So we’ve made a handy resume-writing guide that will take your HR manager resume to the next level.
This guide will show you:
- An HR manager example better than 9 out of 10 other resumes.
- How to write an HR manager resume that will land you more interviews.
- Tips and examples of how to put skills and achievements on an HR manager resume.
- How to describe your experience on a resume for an HR manager to get any job you want.
Want to save time and have your resume ready in 5 minutes? Try our resume builder. It’s fast and easy to use. Plus, you’ll get ready-made content to add with one click. See 20+ resume templates and create your resume here.
Sample resume made with our builder—See more resume examples here.
Human Resource Manager Resume Sample
Human Resources Manager
Summary of Qualifications
Professional, people-first HR manager with 5+ years in human resources and 3 years in HR management jobs. 2018 HR Executive of the Year award winner, HRIS certification, and SHRM-SCP certified. Looking to utilize expertise with organizations of 150+ people to manage the HR department at Subway Development.
Human Resources Manager
May 2016–May 2019
Synergy Apps, Maspeth, NY
Key Qualifications & Responsibilities
- Oversaw a human resources department of 5 team members and their various functions.
- Effectively liaised between senior management and employees to maintain and improve company-employee relations.
- Researched, recruited, staffed, onboarded, and trained new company hires according to the needs of department managers and company budget.
- Ensured compliance of company directives, regulatory concerns, and health and safety protocols.
- Administered payroll, company benefits packages, corporate events, and teambuilding meetings and outings.
- Awarded the 2018 ”HR Executive of the Year” from HRPRO for the Northeast US region.
- Implemented a new onboarding process which cut down training times by 2 days.
Human Resources Specialist
April 2014–May 2016
Gromleeb Gaming, Bronx, NY
Key Qualifications & Responsibilities
- Prepared and updated employment records, including pension plans, compensation packages, benefits, disciplinary behavior, and disputes.
- Administered and processed paperwork related to new hires, job candidates, employment concerns and complaints, and pre-employment tests.
- Mentored new recruits, provided onboarding seminars, and conducted group and individual training sessions.
MS in Human Resource Management
Marymount Manhattan College, New York, NY
Relevant Coursework: Labor and Employment Relations, Business Management, Human Resource Management, Employee Retention, Organizational Culture, Human Resource Ethics.
BS in Business Administration (Human Resource Specialty)
Baruch College, New York, NY
Relevant Coursework: Labor Relations, Human Resource Administration, Business Fundamentals, Organizational Behavior, Industrial-Organizational Psychology, Social Business Environments.
- Employee Selection & Development
- Occupational Safety
- Employment Law
- Recruitment & Onboarding
- Organizational Communication
- Developing Training Programs
- 2018 SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP)
- 2017 ATD Certified Professional in Learning & Performance (CPLP)
- 2017 HRIS Certification / HRIP Certification
- 2018 HR Executive of the Year, HRPRO Northeast
- Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM)
- Human Capital Institute (HCI)
- American Payroll Association (APA)
- Romanian: Professional Working Proficiency
Check out other resume guides related to human resources and management:
- HR Director Resume Sample
- Human Resources Resume Sample
- General Manager Resume Sample
- HR Assistant Resume Sample
- HR Generalist Resume Sample
- HR Coordinator Resume Sample
- HR Specialist Resume Sample
- Entry Level HR Resume Sample
- Recruiting Coordinator Resume Sample
- Volunteer Coordinator Resume Sample
- Sample Resumes for hundreds of different jobs
Now, this is how to write an HR manager resume:
1. Choose the Best Format for Your HR Manager Resume
From payroll to hiring to settling employee disputes, you’re going to have your hands full as an HR manager.
You’ll need a good organizational method to keep it all straight.
Same on your resume for HR management—
To ensure the employer is able to parse it, format the human resources manager resume in a sensible way.
Here are a few resume format rules to follow:
- Start with your phone number and contact info on a resume.
- Split up the parts of a resume into sections with big, legible headings.
- Choose the best resume format, which is usually the chronological resume layout.
- Pick the best font to use for a resume, and don’t crowd your resume with too much text.
2. Write a Human Resources Manager Resume Summary or Objective
Your professional resume profile is another name for a resume objective or summary.
At just 3–4 lines long, this introduction works like an elevator pitch.
Choose the human resource resume summary when you’ve had human resource manager roles in the past. The summary quickly introduces you to them, provides some background, and includes a numbered achievement to prove your HR skills.
Choose the human resource resume objective when you’ve little HR manager experience. The objective statement offers up your career goals instead, though it still gives an accomplishment with numbers to validate your worth to them.
Whichever one you use, make sure it wows them.
As their next HR manager, you will be responsible for hiring top employees. They won’t believe you’re capable if you, yourself, don’t offer up a compelling intro!
Pro Tip: The human resources manager resume objective or summary goes at the top, but don’t write it until the end. This way, you’ll know exactly what to sum up.
3. Create the Perfect HR Manager Job Description for a Resume
Any good HR manager knows adding relevant work experience is the core of your resume.
Not doing it right equals gross misconduct.
Here’s how to nail your human resource manager job description:
- List your most recent job first, then the previous one, and so on.
- Place business titles on top, then dates worked, the company’s name, and a few (5 or 6) bullet points which detail your HR manager responsibilities.
- Start each bullet point with resume action words (e.g., spearheaded, initiated, etc.).
- Give them measurable achievements with numbers, rather than just broad statements.
- Tailor your resume to one specific HR job, instead of sending in a generic resume.
Pro Tip: If you have HR experience, just not in HR management, you don’t need a no experience resume. Simply highlight those times as an HR specialist or assistant where you oversaw a certain project or managed a particular task—that’s HR management material.
4. Make Your HR Manager Resume Education Section Shine
Like a successful HR manager, you need a good retention strategy if you’re to keep the employer’s eyes on your resume.
List your educational background on a resume in a way that keeps them intrigued.
Here’s how to list your education on a human resource manager resume:
- Start with your most recent and highest degree at the top, and go backwards from there (just like in the job description).
- Add your degree earned, college name, graduation date, and school location.
- Include extra details if relevant to HR manager jobs, relevant coursework or Latin honors.
- Don’t include high school on your human resources manager resume if you’re still finishing up university.
Pro Tip: As a human resource manager job applicant, relevant coursework doesn’t just mean HR-related classes. Be sure to include your lessons in leadership and business management, as well.
5. Highlight Your HR Manager Skills on Your Human Resources Manager Resume
Human resources manager roles, according to the BLS, are expected to increase by 9% between 2016 and 2026.
That’s over 12,000 new HR managers to face for the job.
To beat them—
Establish you’re better than the rest by creating the best HR manager skills resume section:
Sample Human Resources Manager Resume Skills
- Human Resource Administration
- Recruiting & Staffing
- Dispute Management
- Training & Onboarding
- Employee Relations
- Succession Planning
- Grievance & Dissatisfaction
- Payroll Systems
- Compensation & Benefits
- Health & Safety
- Company Policy Management
- Rules & Regulations Adherence
- Employee Retention
- Exit Interviews
- Behavioral Competency
- Attention to Detail
- Works Well Under Pressure
- Communication Skills
- Time Management Skills
- Problem Solving Skills
- Leadership Skills
- Decision Making Skills
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Collaboration Skills
- Management Skills
Every HR manager resume sample should be different (remember: tailored!), so don’t copy these exact human resources skills into your resume.
Show due diligence by doing this, instead:
- List both HR management-related soft skills and hard skills when adding professional skills to your resume.
- Get out the HR manager job description to which you are applying.
- To find the best keywords to use on a resume, highlight skills they’re looking for in the job requirements section of the ad.
- If something on your list matches a highlighted skill from the job ad, put that on your resume!
Pro Tip: As an HR manager candidate, you might use an ATS (applicant tracking systems) to manage the dozens of job applications you receive daily. Use keywords as close to the wording on the job ad as possible to best satisfy the ATS.
When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check. Start building a professional resume template here for free.
6. Add Other Sections to Your Human Resources Manager Resume
You’ve learned how to write a resume for human resources manager. Well done!
Every HR management applicant will include those above sections. To stand out as unique, include some choice extra sections.
Here are great additional options for a human resource manager resume:
- certifications in a resume
- foreign languages on a resume
- project portfolio
- job-related achievements
- licenses & memberships
- personal interests
- resume volunteer experience
7. Attach an HR Manager Cover Letter to Resume for Human Resources Manager
About half of employers say a resume without a covering letter is a big turn-off (and you might even be one of them).
Don’t hand in your resume without a human resources manager cover letter.
Here’s how to write a great HR manager cover letter:
- Pick the right cover letter format before beginning.
- Start with a compelling cover letter opening.
- Talk up your HR background and management experience.
- Add key achievements to quantify your skills to them.
- Use a strong cover letter conclusion and call to action to end it.
- Never send in a generic cover letter!
Check out our sister guide for HR cover letters: Human Resources Cover Letter Sample & Guide
Plus, a great cover letter that matches your resume will give you an advantage over other candidates. You can write it in our cover letter builder here. Here's what it may look like:
Got any questions on how to write HR manager resumes? Not sure how to talk about human resource skills, HR certifications, or quantifiable achievements? Get at us in the comments below, and thanks for reading!
About Zety’s Editorial Process
This article has been reviewed by our editorial team to make sure it follows Zety's editorial guidelines. We’re committed to sharing our expertise and giving you trustworthy career advice tailored to your needs. High-quality content is what brings over 40 million readers to our site every year. But we don't stop there. Our team conducts original research to understand the job market better, and we pride ourselves on being quoted by top universities and prime media outlets from around the world.