Applying for a job via email? You need a perfect email cover letter (No, copy-pasting your regular cover letter will NOT do.) Check out this guide to see an email cover letter sample that gets jobs. Plus, you’ll get an email cover letter template you can adjust and use, tons of expert advice, and actionable cover letter tips.
As seen in:
Insurance Sales Agent Resume Sample
Toby Evangelista, Insurance Agent
Efficient insurance agent with 5+ years of experience, skilled in upselling and qualifying leads. Seeking to increase sales and client satisfaction at Assurant Mutual. At Country Consolidated, maintained upsell rate 17% higher than department average. Converted cold inbound queries into sales with 85% success. Booked an average of $350,000 in new sales per year.
March 2015–May 2019
- Through directed qualifying conversations, delivered 17% more upsells than department average.
- Maintained 85% sales rate on inbound queries through active listening, interpersonal skills, and product knowledge.
- Scored 99% in bi-annual product knowledge tests.
- Booked $350,000 in new sales annually thanks to following selling best practices and efficient use of time.
Insurance Sales Agent
Rural Coverage Group
Dec 2013–Jan 2015
- Enrolled 200+ new clients in insurance plans.
- Built relationships with clients to surpass customer loyalty targets by 15%.
- Coached 3 other insurance agents in sales best practices.
2011–2013 University of Wisconsin
Bachelor’s Degree in Business
- Excelled in sales-related classes.
- Vice president, student small business club.
- Hard skills: Sales, upselling, cross-selling, outreach, writing reports
- Soft skills: Interpersonal skills, communication, collaboration, leadership
Volunteer 2x per month, Habitat for Humanity
Lead a weekly cycling group. Raised participation 25%.
Do you need more than a resume for insurance agent jobs? See these guides:
- Sales Resume Sample & Guide
- Sales Associate Resume Sample & Guide
- Car Salesman Resume Sample & Guide
- Sales Manager Resume Sample & Guide
- Sales Representative Resume Sample & Guide
- Consultant Resume Sample & Guide
- Business Resume Sample & Guide
- Leasing Agent Resume Sample & Guide
- Leasing Consultant Resume Sample & Guide
- Buyer Resume Sample & Guide
- Purchasing Agent Resume Sample & Guide
- Loan Processor Resume Sample & Guide
- Resume Examples for Every Career
Want to save time and have your resume ready in 5 minutes? Try our resume builder. It’s fast and easy to use. Plus, you’ll get ready-made content to add with one click. See 20+ resume templates and create your resume here.
Sample Insurance Agent Resume—See more templates and create your resume here.
Here’s how to write an insurance agent resume that gets jobs:
1. Start With the Best Insurance Agent Resume Format
Insurance agents work directly with clients to find the best coverage path the company can offer them. They may work in property, health, or life insurance, guiding customers to make the best decisions. An insurance agent resume must show skills in sales and customer service.
Show you’re on top of it.
Do that with a well-formatted insurance sales agent resume.
Use these tips to look your best:
- Use a professional resume format. Unless you’re switching careers, that’s the reverse-chronological order resume.
- Pick the right resume header format. That puts your name top left with title (insurance agent), then address information and social media links.
- Choose the best resume fonts like Calibri or Georgia. Put them in 10–12 point size and leave some air between your words.
- Save your insurance resume in PDF form. That’ll keep it clean on any machine.
Pro Tip: Does the job posting say no PDFs please? Some do. We advocate PDF resumes for insurance jobs, but double-check before you send.
2. Write an Insurance Agent Resume Objective or Resume Summary
Most hiring managers scan resumes fast.
Slow yours down.
To do that, write a profile for your resume that has everything they’re dreaming of.
If you’re experienced (more than two years) write a resume summary statement. Supply it with high-level insurance sales agent achievements.
Pro Tip: Put your insurance agent resume summary last on your to-do list. If you to make it job #1 it’ll be too hard to write. You need material, and that comes from a finished resume.
3. Match Your Resume to the Insurance Agent Job Description
Why do some applicants get all the interviews?
Because some insurance agent resumes just click into the job.
Make yours one of them.
Do it this way:
- Put your latest insurance agent experience first.
- List a job title, the name of the firm, and the years and months you worked.
- You need to show your duties, but include resume accomplishments.
- Those accomplishments must slot into the job’s needs. Does the job want upselling skills? If you did that 20% better than your peers, say it.
- List measures like $350,000 so they’ll no you’re no weak link.
- The best words to use on a resume are action words like, “raised” or “slashed.”
Pro Tip: Have you got zero experience in the insurance agent world? Write a career change resume. It’s the best way to lift skills from unrelated jobs that work in your new field.
4. Make a Great Insurance Agent Resume Education Section
Don’t be boring.
But don’t be exciting in the wrong way.
Listing education on a resume is selling.
Yes, show school name and degree, plus attendance years.
List school “wins” like sports teams, classes you enjoyed, or academic clubs.
You can leave your GPA off unless it’s recent or super-high.
Pro Tip: In a resume for insurance agent jobs, tie school accomplishments to skills. Being in a club shows teamwork and interpersonal skills.
5. Show Insurance Agent Skills in Your Resume
Use this insurance agent sales resume skills list.
It’s got soft and hard skills examples:
Insurance Agent Resume Skills
- Cross selling
- Qualifying leads
- Relationship building
- Cold calling
- Record keeping
- Report generation
- CRM software
- Submitting applications
- Product knowledge
- Interpersonal skills
- Written and verbal communication
- Problem solving
- Time management
- Critical thinking
- Detail oriented
- Active listening
Don’t toss in every insurance agent skill.
Find out: which ones does the employer value most?
The job posting holds the key. Read it, then prove your central professional skills like I showed you up above.
Pro Tip: Use both hard and soft skills in your resume for insurance agent jobs. You need to show you’re a well-rounded insurance agent.
When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check. Start building a professional resume template here for free.
When you’re done, Zety’s resume builder will score your resume and tell you exactly how to make it better.
6. Add Other Sections to Your Insurance Sales Agent Resume
The hiring manager doesn’t want to hire a sheet of paper.
She wants to hire a person.
Prove that’s you. Put bonus sections in your property or life insurance agent resume.
- Associations like PIA
- Language levels
- Commendations or awards
- Community service
- Sports and fitness
- Personal interests
List your life insurance certification on your resume. Put it in a bonus section underneath your education.
Pro Tip: Use your resume bonus sections as more proof of soft skills or insurance agent skills. If you volunteer somewhere, that can show empathy and teamwork.
7. Send a Cover Letter With Your Insurance Agent Resume
How important are cover letters for insurance agent resumes?
But make your insurance agent application letter count.
- Use the 3-paragraph layout. It’s the right format for a cover letter.
- When starting a cover letter, kick off with a stunning fact. Entice them with your biggest insurance agent achievement, or a company fact that caught your eye.
- In the middle, show your passion and more ways you fit the opening.
- Finish your cover letter with a pitch like, “I’d like to talk to you about surpassing your sales targets.”
How long should a cover letter be? Half a page does the job.
Pro Tip: Not sure how to follow up on a job application? Give it a few days, then send a short, cheery note. Do the same a week later, and a week after that.
Plus, a great cover letter that matches your resume will give you an advantage over other candidates. You can write it in our cover letter builder here. Here's what it may look like:
That’s how to write a resume for insurance agent positions.
Not in love with your insurance sales resume? Gnashing your teeth over the response your resume for insurance agent jobs is getting? Give us a shout in the comments. We’d love to talk!