With such a variety of available resume styles, finding the best for your needs may be a bit of a challenge. But no longer. We cherry-picked the best resume styles to help you out.
As seen in:
IT Technician Resume Sample
Michael C. Reagan
CompTIA A+ Certified IT Technician
Summary of Qualifications
Energetic IT technician at a warehouse of over 300 factory employees. 3+ years of experience with factory instruments and office hardware, software, and network connectivity. Increased performance by 5% after spearheading a building-wide OS upgrade. Seeking to leverage wide spectrum of IT knowledge and tech skills to become the next IT technician at Cellubop Gershwin Enterprises.
January 2018–July 2019
GenConn Technoceuticals, Cincinnati, OH
Key Qualifications & Responsibilities
- Maintained hardware performance, network connectivity, and software updates in a factory of 300+ workers.
- Took over onboarding classes for factory hardware for all new employees.
- Diagnosed issues with warehouse-critical hardware and software, including handheld computers and station-specific systems.
- Increased performance by 5% by spearheading warehouse-wide upgrade of computer systems from OS 3.5 to OS 4.1.
- Replaced receiving team’s handheld computers, coming in $5,000 under budget while purchasing devices which are guaranteed to last over 5 years.
IT Technician Assistant
November 2015–December 2017
10G Networkz, Cincinnati, OH
Key Qualifications & Responsibilities
- Troubleshooted all network connection problems which arose for clients in the Cincinnati region.
- Assisted clients in maintaining optimal connectivity and bandwidth.
- Supported internal administrative team at 10G Networkz with hardware and software issues (e.g., printers, scanners, computers, routers).
- Installed and trained new clients on the ins and outs of using 10G systems efficiently and effectively.
Bachelor of Arts in Information Technology Systems
New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM
Relevant Coursework: Information Systems and Organizations, Networking and Telecommunications for 2020, Technological Integration and Problem Solving, Information Systems Cyber Security, Wireless Networking, Database Management Systems, IT Technical Foundations.
- IT Troubleshooting & Problem Solving
- Onsite & Remote Technical Support
- Up-to-Date Knowledge of Computer Operating Systems
- LAN & WAN Connectivity & Maintenance
- Computer Hardware Systems & Components
- People Skills & Friendly, Helpful Attitude
- Portuguese (Brazilian): Elementary Proficiency
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- CompTIA A+ Technician
- Association of Information Technology Professionals (AITP)
- Association of Computer Engineers and Technicians (ACET)
Want to save time and have your resume ready in 5 minutes? Try our resume builder. It’s fast and easy to use. Plus, you’ll get ready-made content to add with one click. See 20+ resume templates and create your resume here.
Sample IT technician resume—See more resume templates here.
Here are several other IT resume examples and guides:
- IT Resume
- Entry Level IT Resume
- IT Specialist Resume
- IT Manager Resume
- IT Help Desk Resume
- Salesforce Business Analyst Resume
- Computer Technician Resume
- Software Engineer Resume
- Software Engineer Internship Resume
- Computer Science Resume
- Programmer Resume
- Desktop Support Resume
- Technical Support Resume
- Network Administrator Resume
- Scrum Master Resume
- Web Developer Resume
- Cyber Security Resume
- Network Engineer Resume
- DevOps Resume
- QA Resume
- IT Director Resume
- Help Desk Resume
- QA Manager Resume
- The Best Resume Examples for All Jobs
Before all these links, we showed you our vision of the best of the best out of all the IT technician resume samples.
Time to upgrade yours to the latest OS (occupational standards).
Here’s how to write an IT technician resume:
1. Format Your IT Technician Resume Template for Success
Before you begin writing your resume for IT tech jobs, make sure the formatting is up to standards.
Follow these resume formatting guidelines for an IT tech resume template:
- Use the professional header area to list your address on a resume.
- Make it easy to read by using bold resume section titles to make each area stand out.
- The best resume format to use is the reverse-chronological resume format.
- Pick the best resume font to make it legible, and stick to 11–12pt font size in the main body text.
Pro Tip: Should you choose a resume PDF or Word .docx when saving the IT tech resume? Word documents look buggy on some devices, so stick with PDF, unless the job ad specifically asks for it in Microsoft Word.
2. Write an IT Technician Career Objective or Career Summary
You know that classic elevator pitch in many movies with a career element?
Your resume profile should be a written version.
Known as either a resume summary or resume objective, these short paragraphs are meant to give the reader an introduction into your background and application.
Select the career summary when you have lots of IT technician experience. The summary statement sums up your past work experience and developed IT skills into a concise introduction. It also should include a numbered win to prove your technical talents.
Select the career objective when you have little or no IT tech experience. The objective gives your career goals in IT jobs instead of your past experience. However, it still includes a numbered accomplishment to verify your PC technician and network troubleshooting skills.
Pro Tip: Write this heading statement last, even though the CTO or IT recruiter will read it first. Using this method, you’ll have a better understanding of the best points to talk up in the limited space you have.
3. Create the Perfect IT Technician Job Description for a Resume
Now it’s time to show them your past work history enables you to match the IT technician job description and responsibilities.
By learning how to add experience in a resume correctly.
Here’s how to portray your work experience on an IT tech resume:
- Use reverse-chronological order here, meaning you’ll place your most recent job first.
- Add your professional job title, the dates you worked there, and the company’s name and location (city-state, usually).
- Then, add several bullet points detailing your job responsibilities.
- Include a few numbers to show them how great you were at your IT duties, such as “fixed 50% more problems….”
Pro Tip: How to make a resume for your first job as an IT technician? If you haven’t held this job title before, it’s not a problem. When documenting past jobs which are less-related, simply list the tasks and responsibilities you had which most resemble those of an IT tech specialist.
4. Make Your IT Tech Resume Education Area Shine
How to write education on your resume in the most effective way?
Here are a few tips for listing your college details on a tech resume:
- Place your most advanced education on top, also in reverse-chronological order.
- Write your major or degree, the school name and location, and the date of completion.
- List coursework and classes related to IT technician duties.
- Add any impressive extras, such as academic awards and achievements.
Pro Tip: Relevant coursework for IT tech jobs would include those classes which most relate to the specific job you’re applying for. That means you should change them according to different job’s specifications, but you should always tailor your resume to one job, anyway.
5. Highlight Your IT Technician Skills on the Resume
Between 2016 and 2026, jobs for computer support specialists and IT technicians will increase by 11% in the United States itself.
This comes out to 88,500 new positions—
And IT candidates you’ll have to compete with for the job.
To set yourself apart, craft an IT tech skills section which really gets the recruiter’s interest up.
20+ Important Skills for IT Technician
- IT Troubleshooting Skills
- Onsite & Remote Technical Support
- Up-to-date Knowledge of Computer Operating Systems
- LAN & WAN Connectivity & Maintenance
- Enterprise Computer Systems
- Equipment Inspection
- Software Bug Diagnostics
- Technical & Hardware Components
- Great People Skills
- Friendly, Helpful Attitude
- Conceptual Skills
- Great Communication Skills
- Technical Skills
- Decision Making Skills
- Project Management Skills
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Time Management Skills
- Problem Solving Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Teamwork Skills
- Organizational Skills
- Computer Skills
- IT Skills
Now, here’s how to take these various skills and use them in a great IT skills section:
- Jot down your professional skills, including hard skills and soft skills, related to IT technician jobs.
- Go back to the IT technician job description and requirements section to locate the best resume keywords.
- If you have the skills they want in their job requirements, add them to your IT tech resume.
Pro Tip: Just like when looking in the job requirements section of the ad to find the best past responsibilities to add, use the requirements section to pick the IT skills they are looking for.
When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check. Start building a professional resume template here for free.
When you’re done, Zety’s resume builder will score your resume and tell you exactly how to make it better.
6. Add Extra Sections to Your Resume for IT Technician Jobs
Remember those tens of thousands of IT tech candidates you’ll challenge for this job?
To stand out, make your resume unique by including some extra sections.
Here are a few great options for resume additional sections:
IT Technician Resume Examples—Extra Sections
- Certifications on a resume
- Professional achievements
- Personal hobbies & interests
- Foreign languages on a resume
- Resume volunteer work experience
The best certifications for IT computer technicians are those by trusted names, such as CompTIA and Google. Consider getting yourself CompTIA’s A+ certification or the IT Support Professional Certification from Google. The Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) certification is also a top-notch choice.
7. Send In a Great IT Technician Cover Letter Along With Your Resume
Most IT managers and HR staff require an IT technician cover letter attached to the resume.
The ones that don’t require it? They likely still prefer it.
Here are a few top tech-centric tips for making a cover letter for IT technician jobs:
- Format the cover letter for computer technician jobs before you begin writing.
- Start with a captivating IT technician cover letter opening to grab their attention.
- Document your IT background and tech skills to give the IT recruiter or CTO an idea as to how great you’ll be at the job.
- List a few numbered achievements to prove your tech know-how.
- End the cover letter with a powerful call to action to finish it off.
Pro Tip: Always follow up on the job application after sending in your IT technical resume and associated cover letter.
Plus, a great cover letter that matches your resume will give you an advantage over other candidates. You can write it in our cover letter builder here. Here's what it may look like:
Need more PC technician or network technician resume examples? Want help tweaking your IT technician resume template to perfection? Let’s chat below, and thanks for reading!