As seen in:
You’re a sales consultant extraordinaire, making your customers feel like they’re in heaven! You need to know their product, be a competent trainer, know sales, know management, and analyze the market. That could make anybody’s head explode!
But the biggest truth bomb is that all of it needs to be clearly visible on your sales consultant resume.
And now, in just a few minutes, you will know exactly how to get that done.
This guide will show you:
- A sales consultant example better than 9 out of 10 other resumes.
- How to write a sales consultant resume that will land you more interviews.
- Tips and examples of how to put skills and achievements on a sales consultant resume.
- How to describe your experience on a resume for a sales consultant to get any job you want.
Want to save time and have your resume ready in 5 minutes? Try our resume builder. It’s fast and easy to use. Plus, you’ll get ready-made content to add with one click. See 20+ resume templates and create your resume here.
Sample resume made with our builder—See more resume examples here.
Need to read more about a different career path? See these articles:
- Sales Representative Resume Examples
- Sales Resume Examples
- Retail Resume Examples
- Sales Manager Resume Examples
- Salesforce Admin Resume Examples
- Retail Manager Resume Sample & Full Guide
- Insurance Representative Resume Sample & Guide
- Call Center Resume Examples
- Call Center Supervisor Resume Examples
- Consultant Resume Examples
- Best Resume Examples for Every Profession
Sales Consultant Resume Sample
Consistent sales consultant with 4 years of experience in a mid-size consulting agency. Obtained CBAP certification with a score of 84%. Retained top 3 performer position in Bionic Group for 7 quarters in a row. Seeking to leverage past consulting success to deliver technical sales presentations, proposals, and advice at Ideagen.
Bionic Group, Trenton, NJ
February 2019–November 2022
- Maintained position as top 3 quarterly performer between Q2 2020 and Q1 2022.
- Built, managed, and escalated numerous customer relationships through proper attitude, networking, and sales cycle adaptations. Grew customer base by 8%.
- Spurred greater company interest in industry trends and boosted industry event attendance, leading to acquisition of 12 new accounts through Bionic’s new event presence.
- Employed a customer-focused approach, enabling them to follow their own vision, and scored an outstanding 92% satisfaction score.
- Optimized sales to increase profitability by 3%.
- Coached new employees to help them understand specific company approaches.
STRIKE, Greensboro, NC
July 2018–February 2019
- Managed entire customer experience, from product selection to order entry and product loading.
- Developed and maintained trusting relationships with 50 Small-and-Medium Businesses (SMBs).
- Kept company CRM system 100% up-to-date with accurate data.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management
George Mason University School of Business
- Minors: Business Analytics, Finance
- GPA: 3.6
- Relevant Coursework: Global Environments of Business, Contemporary Micro- and Macroeconomic Principles, Operations Management, Organizational Behavior
- Financial Management
- Negotiation Skills
- Customer Relationships
- Active Listening
- Detailed Product Knowledge
- Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP), IIBA, 2019
- Spanish: fluent
- Italian: intermediate
This is how to write your own sales consultant resume that gets jobs:
1. Format Your Sales Consultant Resume Properly
Sales consultants excel in establishing new professional relationships with potential customers by demonstrating the value of their products or services. A great sales consultant resume will show expertise in sales and negotiating, plus a healthy dose of communication, networking, and people skills.
You should also be able to keep up with industry trends. If you can’t present the recruiter with a modern resume and expect to get hired when your application is covered in digital cobwebs, you’re in for some soul-crushing disappointment.
The first step to avoid that is by fixing your resume formatting:
- Add your current contact information in your resume header.
- Not sure what your resume should look like? Separated resume sections, white space between them, and perfect resume margins are a good outline for any resume.
- The reverse chronological resume format works for sales consultants because it delivers the most important info to the recruiter on a silver platter.
- Font choice on a resume matters a lot, so pick a reliable, professional font like Arial or Calibri.
- The length of your resume should not go past one page.
Remember to save your resume as a PDF file to make sure it looks the same on every device.
2. Prepare a Sales Consultant Resume Profile
Imagine the recruiter going through your entire sales portfolio. What would they see? Would they hire you on the spot for a spotless track record?
Hell, after shaking your hand, you’d probably get the corner office and a personal assistant in about as long as…
The blink of an eye.
Which is more or less how long the recruiter will actually spend looking at your resume. No sales records, no biggest closed sales of your life. They. Don’t. Care.
The goal of a sales consultant resume is to make them care, give them a reason!
Using a resume profile, you can achieve just that.
For sales consultants writing a resume with no experience, aresume objective will work better. It shows how your experiences from past non-sales jobs could translate to the company’s success in developing their clients’ businesses.
Read more: 15 Unique Resume Templates to Download Today
3. Craft an Amazing Sales Consultant Job Description for Resumes
This is the meatiest part. Your chances of becoming their newest SaaS expert hinge on the job descriptions you compose when talking about work experience on your resume.
- Describe your most recent work first. The other positions should come in a chronologically-descending fashion.
- Each entry needs to have your job title, where you worked, and the amount of time you spent working there.
- Using bullet points, talk about your relevant experience; don’t bore them with bland descriptions like “Helped assess customer needs”. Everybody says that.
- Instead, utilize action verbs in each description to increase engagement and keep the recruiter from falling asleep.
- Bad resumes are generic and boring. Good sales consultant resumes are tailored to each job to reach good rapport with every recruiter and show commitment, just like with a client.
Read more: How to Write a Targeted Resume
4. Get the Most out of Your Sales Consultant Education Section
Can you call yourself an effective sales consultant if your client isn’t aware of all the services your company can provide?
Probably. That is just one of the many mistakes sales consultants need to avoid.
But don’t repeat it on your sales consultant resume.
Not writing a resume education section? Not worth it.
- If you’re applying with 5+ years of experience, list just your degree, school name, and graduation year.
- With less experience than that, consider mentioning your GPA on your resume, along with relevant coursework, extracurricular activities, or other academic achievements.
Read more: How to List College Minors on a Resume
When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check. Start building a professional resume template here for free.
5. Target Your Sales Consultant Skills
Take a look at this sample list of sales consultant skills:
Sales Consultant Resume Skills
- Product Knowledge
- Positive Attitude
- Customer Management
- Presentation Skills
- Conflict Resolution
- Customer Needs Analysis
- Contract Negotiation
- Organizational Skills
- Time Management Skills
- Problem Solving Skills
- Technical Skills
- Attention to Detail
- Rapport & Relationship Building
- Maintaining Good Client Standing
- Interpersonal Skills
- Communication Skills
- Active Listening
But, above all of that, one idea should reign true for your sales consultant resume:
Relevant skills only.
This is how to pick them out:
- Prepare a sheet with all of your soft skills,hard skills, and technical skills included.
- Search the job posting for the ones the employer wants specifically.
- If you listed them on your list, put them on your resume.
- The number of your skills should not go past 10.
Following this method will help you avoid being automatically rejected by their ATS, or Applicant Tracking System.
Read more: What Skills to Put on a Resume
6. Add Extra Sections to Your Sales Consultant Resume
Here’s a not so fun fact:
Consultants tend to be some of the most overworked people, often clocking more than 60 hour work weeks.
The key to a successful resume, however, lies in the art of showing that you have a life outside of your job.
It either makes you more personable or even more passionate if your hobbies are somehow related to consulting as well.
Try these ideas on for size:
- Volunteer work
- Foreign language skills
- Achievements on a resume
- Passion projects
- Certifications and licenses
Read more: What Shouldn’t Be Included on a Resume
7. Attach a Cover Letter to Your Sales Consultant Resume
Do sales consultants need to write a cover letter?
They absolutely do.
It simply isn’t enough to make your resume stand out—your resume and cover letter need to come like two peas in a pod.
Plus, writing a great cover letter not nearly as difficult or daunting as you might think.
- Stick to the right format for a cover letter first.
- Know how to address your cover letter. This section often trips people up.
- The first paragraph of a cover letter must set the right tone, namely the tone of how you fit their team very well and they should consider you.
- Elaborate on your achievements throughout the middle section to keep them interested. Concentrate on the value you bring, not on what you want to get. Don’t be selfish.
- Your cover letter ending needs to have a call to action. Also, don’t forget any cover letter enclosures like a sales portfolio if needed.
How many pages should a cover letter be? Good news: under one page is definitely enough.
Plus, a great cover letter that matches your resume will give you an advantage over other candidates. You can write it in our cover letter builder here. Here's what it may look like:
That’s about it!
That’s how you write a winning sales consultant resume.
Did we miss anything important? Are you writing a sales consultant resume and aren’t sure how to list your achievements or experience right? We’d love to hear it all from you, so leave your comments below!
About Zety’s Editorial Process
This article has been reviewed by our editorial team to make sure it follows Zety's editorial guidelines. We’re committed to sharing our expertise and giving you trustworthy career advice tailored to your needs. High-quality content is what brings over 40 million readers to our site every year. But we don't stop there. Our team conducts original research to understand the job market better, and we pride ourselves on being quoted by top universities and prime media outlets from around the world.